Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 11:54 PM       
i hope you at least called your mom young man!
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 01:36 PM       
Rewatching Ju-on 2. Realized I'd forgotten a lot.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 02:54 PM       
Yeah, didn't really need the refresher. I think the first Ju-On:The Grudge was the only one to really creep me out. I've got to admit I've got a lasting fascination with the series, as you've probably surmised. Mainly, though, blahblah house blah blah murders blah blah croaking mom coming down the stairs blahblah startling blue catboy. Everything else is basically a variation on the theme, swapping out wigs and cellphones and the diary with the eye in it and there's that crumpled photo of the family again.

The croaking. That fucking croaking. What could raise goosebumps in the beginning is now sounding more to me like an out-of-ideas director leaning into the mic to deliver a slow gaseous emission. I know by now it's supposed to be like Shimizu's version of that "Ch-ch-ha-ha" (or "Ja-ja-son-son", depending on who you ask), but all I can hear now is braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapppppppppppp.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 03:37 PM       
I always think "Japanese Bat Boy".
teacup of sunshine
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 04:01 PM       
He does look like Bat Boy.

Edit: Also didn't realize that the Basketball Grandma and the ghost from Full Length Mirror are virtually identical as I haven't watched FLM yet.

Edit Edit: Grudgebunnies

Last edited by Kitsa : Oct 25th, 2013 at 08:55 PM.
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 04:59 AM       
I liked the story in Ju-On 2 where the couple heard knocking coming from their living room wall. Other than that, meh.
teacup of sunshine
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 07:16 AM       
Oh, that, yeah. Toshio always getting up to some shit, playing tetherball with Kayako's murder victims.

Some of the ways the stories synch up are kind of cool, the premonition thing with the glass knocking over and the time and all of that. He's really big on wall-thumps in general, it was a big part of the Black Ghost storyline.
Cranberry Everything
dextire is probably a spambot
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 11:09 AM       
I haven't watched any Ju-On, Ring, One Missed Call, or Tomie movies for a few years now. I just got burned out I guess. They're not really "fun" movies, so if they're not scary I get bored with them pretty quick.

I did watch Infection not too long ago for the first time and it was pretty good.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 11:20 AM       
I get more scared over the perceived danger rather than the obvious danger. So those types of movies are more likely to make me jump in my seat rather than slasher films.
Cranberry Everything
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 12:24 PM       
Yeah, I'm the same way. The Japanese version of The Ring was the scariest movie I've ever seen and my introduction to that type of film.
teacup of sunshine
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 12:58 PM       
One of the themes of Ju-On that creeped me out was that the curse sort of dragged you in regardless of whether you were an innocent bystander or not. From what I've read, that's how Onryo (vengeful spirits, e.g. Kayako) operate. Like in classical pieces, the spirit bypasses the husband who murdered her and kills the new wife. That's a lot dimmer view than the standard "if you aren't a prick, you're probably safe" format of Western horror movies.

It used to be very rigid. Enter Kayako's old house, you're doomed, regardless of whether or not you had anything to do with it. Set foot inside and eventually a wild-eyed croaking woman was going to find you and...something. Usually something with hair.

Then when Shimizu started grasping at straws, the rules got looser and looser, and that's when they started losing my attention. The ghost started drawing people into the house when they hadn't had any intention of going there. The ghost started appearing and killing off buddies of the afflicted. That sort of reached its pinnacle when the Grudge movies made their leap into the Hollywood versions, particularly with the HORRIBLE Grudges 2 and 3.
Cranberry Everything
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 01:42 PM       
That is a very creepy concept. No one is ever safe. You can't be a good person, outsmart, perform an exorcism, or do your research and give the thing what it wants. You're going to die.

I forgot all about Grudge 3. I think that's the one where it just randomly has the kid and Kayako's giant head (her eye is a big as the door) looking out of the house in one scene.
teacup of sunshine
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 02:13 PM       
The Grudge 3 took part in some gloomy apartment building in Chicago. (Because...? I forget why. Someone carried the curse over or something. I'm sure in alternate films, Kayako is visiting everyone who rode over on the plane with whomever carried the curse over, and eventually the CDC will have to get involved). There is a man who is an obvious setup to be the reincarnation of Kayako's husband, there's the good guy and whore-turned-responsible girlfriend, and there's a sickly little girl who keeps seeing Toshio. Somehow, Kayako suddenly has a sister who wasn't ever mentioned before, and someone has been putting clippings about the Chicago murders (from the Japanese papers, wtf?) on her desk until she decides to fix the problem. Weirdly, her name is Miss Saeki, even though that would have been Kayako's married name, but whatthefuckever.

There is one scene where they do a jump scare two times in quick succession and that might be what you're thinking of. The little girl is playing with her dollhouse and Toshio pops up behind it, looking through a window at her. Just to make sure that startled us, he immediately does it again. They have his eye lined up with a circle in the center of the window like he's got her in his sights.

Then again, they could have had her eye big in a door. I don't remember it, but it wouldn't surprise me. I think in a few of the film versions they liked to flash her face on windows, kind of like that Exorcist demon.
Cranberry Everything
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 03:02 PM       
Yep, that's the movie I'm thinking of. It's in like the first 20 minutes of the film and I'm pretty sure nothing at all has happened yet. The girl is walking out the door and the camera pans over to the other side of the room only to see giant headed Kayako peeking through. It's just very random and made me laugh.

Spoilers!
teacup of sunshine
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 03:10 PM       
LOL. Weirdly enough, the only time that Sudden Kayako Window Appearance got me was in the first American Grudge. I think it's because I saw it in an empty, decrepit theater (I was honestly the only person in an ancient, one-screen cinema that was falling apart) and there was a huge Kayako Noise (tm) when they showed her face.
Cranberry Everything
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 11:37 PM       
Watched Quarantine and REC back-to-back. I'd actually recommend watching them this way if you don't speak Spanish. REC is much scarier but gets pretty crazy, so it helps to know the story without having to constantly glance at the subtitles and the dub version is awful.
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 05:37 AM       
Halloween 6: The Curse Of Michael Myers

What a piece of shit. I just wanted to watch a cheesy Halloween flick with dumb teenagers getting sliced, but this was just fucking terrible.
teacup of sunshine
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 08:50 AM       
Never got into Halloween.

Edit: Or Hellraiser. I don't think I understand Hellraiser.

Last edited by Kitsa : Oct 27th, 2013 at 10:58 AM.
teacup of sunshine
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 11:00 PM       
Never saw Hocus Pocus before. Gave it a chance. Hated it.
Comic Artist in Training
WhiteRoseBrian is probably a spambot
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 08:52 PM       
Most recently I streamed Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. It's worth a look.

Before that my friend and I went to see Gravity. It was very nice.

Before that we went to see The Wizard of Oz. It's a classic.
...Pause at the Beginning
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 03:38 PM       
are you talking about the cabinet of dr caligari or the remake of the cabinet of dr caligari
teacup of sunshine
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 05:09 PM       
Tried to rewatch Nightmare Before Christmas. Everyone else fell asleep

It's weird how fast animation looks dated, even though I know that was supposed to be a little oldschool to begin with.
Comic Artist in Training
WhiteRoseBrian is probably a spambot
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 07:14 PM       
I meant the original one from 1920.
teacup of sunshine
Old Oct 31st, 2013, 09:48 PM       
Trying to watch the Fright Night remake. Having a hard time sticking with it.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Oct 31st, 2013, 09:51 PM       
try watching FN 2