Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Comics 'n Books
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 07:34 AM       
Quote:
I'm about 3/4 way thought it. But I've been reading that and War and Peace for the past few years. Russian authors always interest me and drag me in, then take too long to get to the end,
Dostoevsky novels usually have shitty ant-climatic endings

i read about 100 pages of war and peace but its kinda boring except when they tie that dude to the bear. thats funny.

but yea i really like russian writers too
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 12:49 PM       
War and Peace does have a little bit of interesting in it, but it is just swamped with so much boring that it makes it a real chore to wade through.

I'm moving house at the moment and I left the book that I am reading --The Wasp Factory - at the wrong abode, so I went on wikipedia and read up on it. Like an idiot I spoiled it for myself and ruined the ending.

I like dystopian futures, and I think I might write a short story about one.
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 03:26 AM       
I only read the first chapter of War & Peace. A lot of it was in french with no translation, don't know if this was artistic or if the translators expected me to know french but I couldn't find the energy to go on. Never had that problem with Doestoyevsy, I burn through Dostoyevsky's stuff without ever breaking pace. I've only read his three most famous works though (Crime and Punishment, The Idiot and The Brothers Karamazov), not sure about his other books like The Gambler or Demons.

@Zhukov - I had the same problem with The Wasp Factory, the ending was spoiled for me before I even started reading it. It's still pretty good even if you know how it ends.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 09:43 AM       
I really enjoyed Crime and Punishment despite me thinking that it suffers from the same boring ending syndrome as other Russian literary classics. I've got The Idiot floating around here somewhere so I will get to that soonish.

My copy of War and Peace also has quite a lot of untranslated French in it. He doesn't make it easy.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 02:08 AM       
Reading shouldn't be like solving a puzzle box.
The Unicorn
Sam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contest
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 02:11 AM       
UNLESS YOU ARE READING HELLRAISER.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 02:16 AM       
blive carker
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 03:00 PM       
I've started Slapstick by Vonnegut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The first line of the prologue
This is the closest I will ever come to writing an autobiography.
lol
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 09:49 PM       
Gawd, I love Slapstick.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 12:12 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuohlim View Post
Slapstick is the worst novel Vonnegut wrote
I still agree with PAST ESUOHLIM. That's the one with the retarded twins who can mindmeld by fucking each other, right?

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 12:14 AM       
WHAT IS WRONG ABOUT THAT.
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 12:47 AM       
So you loved Slapstick but hated Deadeye Dick?

God Emperor of Brigadoon

Old Jul 11th, 2011, 10:47 AM       
Finished Slapstick. I liked it, I can't disagree with Milhouse though when he says it's the worst Vonnegut novel ever since I haven't read everything by Vonnegut and Slapstick definitely isn't better than any of the Vonnegut novels I have read.

The worst thing I've read by Vonnegut was God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian. That's not really a novel though.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 11:07 AM       
Quote:
So you loved Slapstick but hated Deadeye Dick?
DID I SAY THAT, MILHOUSE? DID I?
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 12:55 PM       
Quote:
I read through Deadeye Dick in one sitting this morning. IT IS NOT ABOUT DICKS. Recommended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
derecommended

frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 08:35 PM       
coz you said it wasn't about dicks

i was going for the gag, milhouse, you should know that

or I was being contrary that day
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 09:56 PM       
going for the gag, eh
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 12:41 AM       
yeah, coz there's no way I'd like didcks in real life

yeah
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 01:33 AM       
How about Breakfast of Champions, that one actually is about dicks

OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 01:43 AM       
is it about gagging on them though
The Glum Cunt
k0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contest
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 09:04 PM       
I just finished The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie. It is an excellent story set in the First Law universe that he's created. If you like fantasy novels and haven't read any of Joe Abercrombie's work, I would highly recommend it, starting with the First Law Trilogy. All of his books do suffer a little bit switching character perspectives, but they hold some of the most brutally awesome fight scenes I've ever read. I've gone through all 5 of his books and they just keep getting better.
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 10:40 PM       
I fished The Iron Dream by Norman Spinrad. In it, Hitler moves to America and becomes a beloved sci-fi writer. Kinda lame actually, but I'm a sucker for alternate reality stories.
OH GOD
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 05:30 PM       
found a paperback copy of Dune for $1, fuck yeah
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 03:07 PM       
I just read through Volume 8 and 9 of the Dark horse's ongoing Conan series. I can't get enough of it. Volume 14 of The Walking Dead was pretty great as well. I hate how they always leave you hanging at the end of each Volume, though.
God Emperor of Brigadoon

Old Aug 4th, 2011, 12:08 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer View Post
found a paperback copy of Dune for $1, fuck yeah
I found a paperback copy of Dune at St Vincent's once that was only a nickel.