Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Resident Lurker
DuFresne is probably a spambot
Old May 5th, 2007, 12:34 AM        My friend has a strange claim about 300
Alright, so I was talking to my friend David, and he was telling me this little movie he saw called 300. Perhaps you've heard of it. So anyways, he claims that this film may be more than a cool pseudo-historical action movie based on a Frank Miller comic. It may actually, at least in some small way, be propaganda in support of the war in the Middle East. Being the mildly resonably guy he is, he is not sure if this claim has any merit. Having not yet seen the movie, the best I could do for him was to turn to you geeks. So what do ya think?

OK
Black Flag is probably a spambot
Old May 5th, 2007, 12:43 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuFresne View Post
Alright, so I was talking to my friend David, and he was telling me this little movie he saw called 300. Perhaps you've heard of it.
don't get all cute. this isn't your blog.
Ringmonster
J. Tithonus Pednaud is probably a spambot
Old May 5th, 2007, 01:49 AM       
It has little merit. The graphic novel the film is faithfully adapted from was published in 1998 so predates the current war. Also, the Spartans were defending an invasion, not invading.
What exactly is he basing his theory on?
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old May 5th, 2007, 02:16 AM       
the fact that its white people killing south east asians.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old May 5th, 2007, 02:24 AM       
do...do you even KNOW where southeast asia is?
Resident Lurker
Old May 5th, 2007, 02:26 AM       
He says that the argument is based mostly on how the movie tends to focus on the glory and honor of being in war and staying there til the very end. He also says that graphic novel does not put as much stock in this, as Leonidas faces opposition to this radical view more readily in the graphic novel. Again, I can't say if any of this is true as I have not seen the movie nor read the graphic novel.

OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old May 5th, 2007, 02:49 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowX View Post
the fact that its white people killing south east asians.
man don't say southeast asians when you mean sandn*ggers just go ahead and say sandn*ggers
Ringmonster
Old May 5th, 2007, 03:32 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuFresne View Post
He says that the argument is based mostly on how the movie tends to focus on the glory and honor of being in war and staying there til the very end.
That is quite true, however the battle of battle of Thermopylae has long been a cited as a symbol of courage against overwhelming odds - for well over a thousand years - though the battle was not fought by only 300 Spartans it was an army of about 5000 led by a the Spartan King Leonidas.

I could see your friends argument holding more water if the stand was successful, but it wasn't. Leonidas was killed and Athens was eventually sacked. Furthermore, the entire purpose of the battle was to slow the advance of the Persians, allowing for the evacuation of Athens and the raising of the naval fleet. Victory was not really a consideration. The Thebian ranks of the Spartan led army actually defected during the battle, by the way. The Persians were eventually defeated with another mostly Greek army led by the Spartan regent but only after an all Greek army defeat the Persian in a naval battle, effectively ending the war.

If you are following the exact canon of the film, however, the message is this: Standing your ground, while glorious, is ineffective, dumb and results in complete and total defeat. It is only after getting help from your friends and changing tactics that victory is assured.
Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:08 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer View Post
man don't say southeast asians when you mean sandn*ggers just go ahead and say sandn*ggers
hahahahaha

j/k!

Resident Lurker
Old May 5th, 2007, 02:51 PM       
Thanks, Pednaud!

Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old May 5th, 2007, 03:46 PM       
blah blah blah blah "freedom isn't free" blah blah blah

OMG THEYZ TALKIN BOUT THE WARRZ
Banned

Idi Amin is probably a spambot
Old May 8th, 2007, 04:27 PM       
Hey guys I am David I wrote a wonderful dissertation of my thoughts, it was quite long and I made my point well. but when I hit the submit reply button I was taken to the log in screen, and all of what I wrote was lost. I will be back later to try again.

your thoughts are much appriciated Pednaud
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:29 PM       
THIS MOVIE ACTUALLY HAPPENED
Ringmonster
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:44 PM       
Idi, I am sure you did. Films are wide open for any sort of subjective to personal proclivities, opinions and experiences. If an allegory of the current war is what you saw, who am I to argue on what you observed. However, I just personally find it highly improbable that the delivery of such a message was the intended purpose of the film.

It has always been my personal opinion that mass market films are, generally, in the business of entertainment and not subtle enlightenment. As Freud said, a cigar is sometimes just a cigar. It's the smaller personal projects or more privately controlled projects that hold true messages and insights. While directors often interpret their sources, in the case of 300 there are just too many cooks in the kitchen to plausibly give it that sort of exacting credit.

Back in my university days, I wrote a great dissertation arguing that E.T was a film retelling the story of Jesus. The concept was based on a throw away joke on the Simpsons. It's an observation others have made since - and likely before - and the idea holds pretty true when you really look at it superficially. But it is, of course, complete bullshit held as truth only in the eye of the beholder.
Resident Lurker
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:03 AM       
The professor of a film class I took thought I was a genius when I wrote a paper about how Crash was an indictment of Christianity and the concept of an omnibenevolent god. It was total bullshit that I'm sure the filmmakers had no intention of conveying.

Last edited by DuFresne : May 9th, 2007 at 12:04 AM. Reason: omnibenelovent
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:26 AM       
the funny thing is that if you want to you can make driving a bus a secret massage about suporting war

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:21 AM       
at least this isnt a 'HAy guise! the cast of scooby doo were totally stoned the whole time and the smurfs fuck each other all day' type claim which people who think they are funny make

Banned

Old May 9th, 2007, 11:16 AM       
Ok I am back. basically what I saw was a sort of feeling that was evoked in alot of people who left the theater. who seemed to be all to eager, and inspired by the film. kind of like a kid who jsut saw the new power rangers film. but I was bothered because these were college kids. and I am paranoid any way, so mabey they really just were happy they saw a good movie. that is not to say that I based all of that on just how people reacted.

but basically I, from hearing you and talking with friends am led to belive that it was more a combonation of my interpitation, and an interpritation of the creators of the film from the original comic. that made me think this. than what it realy was.
Banned

Old May 9th, 2007, 11:20 AM       
can I say also that I hate to bitch about the war, and and I am tired of this new wave of jerks bitchin' about "american facsism."

this is not that.

autistic licence
sloth is probably a spambot
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:38 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Tithonus Pednaud View Post
But it is, of course, complete bullshit held as truth only in the eye of the beholder.
Isn't that the only truth that matters? I'm presuming the work was not made for the sake of the author, but for the beholder?
Resident Lurker
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:04 PM       
I'd say it depends. Some works are more obviously up for interpretation, but in many cases the author can have a clear point he/she wants to convey. Whether or not he/she succeeds is another story.

Forum Virgin

ScottMacInnis is probably a spambot
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:29 AM       
interpretation aside, did anyone else want to scream "Sparta" at the top of their lungs and kick an old lady in the chest after that movie?
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:49 PM       
Not particularly as that would be very rude to the elderly and I don't want to go to jail again

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:48 PM       
You are a horrible person Scott. My God, you need criminal counseling.