Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Comics 'n Books
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:04 PM        Doomsday era Superman
Is it me, or was that whole plot where superman gets killed by doomsday fucking retarded? it felt like it was written by ADD addled 8th graders
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 01:18 AM       
What ruined it for me was years later, when I saw some Justice League cartoon where a slightly more facist Superman from an alternate dimension fought Doomsday, but defeated him handily by shooting him in the forehead with his head vision until he was lobotomized.

And then Lois Lane was like, "uh, thanks, Superman?" Bitch.

Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 03:36 PM       
I thought that whole Superman cult thing was was ridiculous, and Superboy was just an annoying little twat.

Last edited by Girl Drink Drunk : Dec 16th, 2007 at 11:09 AM.
dead end
mew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty ok
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 11:29 AM       
doomsday was going to metropolis cuz he saw a wrestling commercial on tv whats dumb about that

MHH-TRR-PLSS?!
WHHR-BSSH!

good stuff
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 02:12 AM       
I think the reason the whole 'Death of Superman' thing was so quickly done was because they wanted the reason to be essentially pointless (big alien comes to Earth, fucks up everything, Superman stops him at the cost of his life). In theory, it's a pretty good story. Superman as a character has been built up into this indestructible everpresent hero. His power is that he can never really be destroyed. Thus, having his death come as a shock could be seen as a powerful moment and possibly a very big character-driven moment.

Sadly, the way it was handled was in the way that DC always takes with Superman. No matter what happens to him, he always has to return back to normal shortly because he's the big flagship character. The irony is that Superman has always been too super to do anything interesting with and when an opportunity comes along that breaks that, the company wants him back to normal as soon as they can. Hence, everything has to be rushed and dramatically that's a cheat. In a perfect world, Superman's death should have been extended over a course of a few years with the mourning, the back story, letting minor characters come to the foreground, and basically letting the story take its course. Considering all the material that can be seen in 'Funeral for a Friend' and the Pretender Superman storyline, there was enough there to create a story shock for people who thought they knew Superman comics and get them aboard.

Instead? Superman comes out of nowhere in a giant battle suit, unpowered, and then goes on to destroy the bad guy at the end. Dramatically it was a cheat. The reason why it looks like it was written by an ADD sufferer is because there is no honest narrative method to suddenly switch like that. And the last thing the comic needed was more 'back to the usual' stuff. So a good storyline that could have brought some real power back to the comics and the character and such was destroyed in such a matter. Batman could be handicapped for a year or so, Green Lantern could be an insane bad guy for a few more years, but Superman apparently is unable to suffer any real changes at all for more than a few weeks before he reverts back to normal. And you can see by the mid to late '90s that this eventually meant a lot of old-school writers left and were replaced by more cinematic storytelling that eventually turned the whole thing into Liefeld-lite where Superman become even less characterstic and more like a Cable clone. Essentially, if you look at the madness that was the whole Superman Blue/Red fiasco, you can see the final desperation that the writers had between keeping the comics fresh at any cost and the damnation they got when they had to change it back again.

I do not envy those people in the slightest.