Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 08:44 PM        GOP changing leadership rules for Tom DeLay
http://www.thehill.com/news/111704/delay.aspx

November 17, 2004

Rule change to shield DeLay

GOP caucus likely to end requirement that indicted leaders must step aside
By Jonathan E. Kaplan

The House GOP caucus is likely to vote today to end its rule requiring leaders to step down if indicted, thus shielding Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Texas) in the event that criminal charges are brought against him in a highly controversial case in Texas.

The effort to change the decade-old rule is being led by Rep. Henry Bonilla (R-Texas) to head off the threat posed by what Republicans say is a Democratic political witch hunt against DeLay after his success in redistricting Texas in the GOP’s favor.

Austin’s district attorney, Ronnie Earle, has indicted two of DeLay’s closest fundraisers for their role in that effort and could indict DeLay himself.

“Congressman Bonilla’s rule change is designed to prevent political manipulation of the legislative process,” his spokeswoman, Taryn Fritz Walpole, wrote in an e-mail. “The modification preserves the original ethical intent of the rule by lessening the possibility of political exploitation and intimidation of House Leadership and Chairmanship positions.”

Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.) told The Hill that the rule change, first reported by The Hill yesterday, “reflects a reality that [Earle’s investigation is] nothing but a political witch hunt bent on taking him to court. It’s the final phase that Democrats are coming to grips that Republicans are a permanent majority. There’s not any question it’ll pass.”

DeLay, who has been admonished by the House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct for his role in the redistricting, has decided to “allow the members of the conference to come to their own conclusions and that he should not exert undue influence on the process,” said spokesman Stuart Roy.

In 1993, amid ethical and criminal charges pending against several senior House Democrats and Rep. Joe McDade (R-Pa.), the ranking member of the Appropriations Committee, Republicans stripped leaders and ranking committee members — the GOP was then in the minority — of their posts.

Speaker Jim Wright (D-Texas) and Majority Whip Tony Coelho (D-Calif.) previously had resigned under pressure of ethical charges. Majority Whip William Gray (D-Pa.) had been investigated by the Justice Department for improper use of his personal office. Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dan Rostenkowski (D-Ill.) served 15 months in prison and two months in a halfway house and paid a $100,000 fine after pleading guilty to two counts of mail fraud in 1996.

In the 108th Congress, GOP conference rules require a leader to step aside temporarily if indicted on a felony charge that carries a prison term of two or more years. A separate rule applies to committee chairmen.

Republican aides were still hashing out the exact language of the rule change.

Bonilla’s proposal would drop the requirement that a leader step aside if indicted by a grand jury or a state prosecutor.

Republicans have used Democrats’ ethical lapses, including a check-kiting scandal at the House bank, to their political advantage. In 1987, then-Rep. Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) told The Washington Post: “[You] now have a House where it is more dangerous to be aggressive about honesty than it is to be mildly corrupt. … We have in Wright, [Majority Leader Tom Foley (D-Wash.)] and Coelho a third generation of Democratic leaders, the first that has never served in a minority. … You now have a situation where I think people feel almost invulnerable.”

Cantor said, however, that by inoculating DeLay in the present case the Republicans will not lose the moral high ground gained by instituting the rule in the first place.

“That line of reasoning [accepts] that exercise of the prosecutor in Texas is legitimate,” he said.

Meantime, Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.), the incoming chairman of the Republican Study Committee, said he has introduced a package of rule changes to force more fiscal discipline on the GOP caucus. He said he was not prepared to elaborate on specific changes.

Democrats, both on and off the Hill, were relishing the prospect of Republicans’ rewriting the rules that they claimed would be a mainstay of their tenure in the majority.

“It would be the height of hypocrisy for a party that came to power promising to clean house to deliberately clear the way for a corrupt and unethical member under indictment to lead the people’s House,” a Democratic leadership aide said.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 06:04 AM       
I thought it said 'the GOP cactus' at first :<

Oh, and USA.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 07:22 AM       
Quote:
Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.) told The Hill that the rule change, first reported by The Hill yesterday, “reflects a reality that [Earle’s investigation is] nothing but a political witch hunt bent on taking him to court. It’s the final phase that Democrats are coming to grips that Republicans are a permanent majority. There’s not any question it’ll pass.”
I have to take exception to this... It should have been "The Democrats are coming to grips [/i]with[/i] the fact that the Republicans are a permanent majority."

The ruling party should really be more on the ball when it comes to proper grammar. They really need to be thinking of the chiddren. They have a moral responsiblity to watch what they say now as well as how they say it. God's watching.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 08:21 AM       
In the world of Tom DeLay, everything is a conspiracy on the part of the Democrats.
Mocker
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 11:18 AM       
Cantor's comments are the most outrageous, IMO. I mean, of course it's a obvious to everyone that it's a Dem. ploy...! We should just go ahead and change the rules that we set in motion under the Contract, because hey, the difference between then and now is that those Democrats really were corrupt, and we, well, we obviously aren't. We do have capital, after all.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 11:33 AM       
The funny thing is that the Republicans enacted these rules to end Democratic rule of the house by highlighting their ethecal lapses. It just shows that Republicans don't care if their leaders are ethical..
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 01:05 PM       
I think the Republicans are showing a striking lack of imagination. They ought to be changing the rules so that Delay can maintain leadership after he's found guilty.
=======

Old Nov 19th, 2004, 12:31 PM       
I'm thinking it would be better to fire a Democrat is he's convicted. Better yet, he should stage a press conference challenging any Democrat that believes him to be guilty to settle the issue with a baseball bat duel. That would rock. At this point, I'd just like to see either of the parties just drop the ruse and take the position of the Party of True Evil®. Let's get serious about this thing. Pro-Wrestling serious. Disputes such as this one could and should be settled by cage match, preferably to the death. CSPAN could go PPV. I like my contrasts to be STARK! Enough of this mamby-pamby respectful disagreement crap!

Politicians have WAY too much power and are WAY too corrupt for getting caught red-handed abusing power to only result in quietly losing one's job only to get some cushy ambassadorship or trustee position. Any sort of perceived violation of ethics standards should result in immediate and crazy-painful punishment, live on TV. They should erect a Trebuchet atop the Justice Dept building for launching errant legislators generally toward the Potomac, but I'm not talking about punishment administered austerely after some sort of official trial process... I'm thinking good ol' Angry-Mob-Justice with torches and pitchforks and whatnot.

I want to see people dragged kicking and screaming out of $1000/ plate luncheons as embarrassingly as possible and then shoved into a plexi-glass container filled with angry bees because they cast a deciding vote for or against something important.

Don't just TELL me your opponent is voting against my best interests, dammit! Show me how far you're willing to go to represent me! Get pissed off when someone endangers my very lifestyle if you want me to take you seriously!

We also need to make the process of Pork a bit more challenging. It's pretty obvious that the practice won't be ending anytime soon, and simply hoping that any politician's conscience will somehow temper their lust for public funds diverted into private gains just ain't working.

You want my money to use as payola or return an election favor? Fine. Earn it. I'm talking earn it Fear Factor style. Again, live on TV, like a game-show.

I want to see legislators required to expend a bit more effort toward this process than just keeping it quiet or denying it if it ever comes up. You need to funnel a million dollars homeward to pay off some benefactor, Fine. We understand that's a necessary part of political life. All you have to do to earn your Pork is eat this baby pig raw.

First, you'll have to catch him, of course.

Now, if you don't finish him off within the confines of our 30 minute show, or you puke, then you didn't want it bad enough and a-catapulting we go.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Mocker
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 01:00 PM       
Rest easy! The House ethics committee is ON the job!

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-break...3407-3054r.htm

House ethics panel chastises Rep. Bell

Washington, DC, Nov. 19 (UPI) -- The House ethics panel has chastised Rep. Chris Bell for exaggerating claims in ethics charges filed against Majority Leader Tom DeLay earlier this year.

In a letter released Thursday night, the Ethics Committee signaled no disciplinary action would be taken against the outgoing Texas Democrat.

But the panel did find that the complaint he filed against the conservative Texas Republican -- who engineered a redistricting plan in Texas that led to Bell's primary loss this year -- contained "innuendo, speculative assertions or conclusory statements," in violation of House ethics rules.

The panel also warned members that filing complaints with such traits could lead to sanctions.

For his part, Bell said the findings would "intimidate" members from filing complaints against their colleagues, a view rejected by the committee in a statement Friday.

Bell's complaint was not dismissed by the panel because the charges warranted consideration and speculation was not grounds for dismal in the past.

The panel found in October that there did appear to be links between some of DeLay's political and legislative actions and that he improperly used his power to get federal aviation officials to intervene in a political dispute in his home state.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 01:32 PM       
let me guess...the ethics committee is all Republican.....
=======

Old Nov 19th, 2004, 02:27 PM       
Quote:
"...speculation was not grounds for dismal in the past." Article
***UPDATE***

THIS JUST IN [EXCLAMATION POINT]

COLIN POWELL ACCEPTS $10MIL ADVANCE FOR BOOK CONTRACT [PERIOD]

TITLE: "GROUNDS FOR DISMAL"

SUBTITLE OPT 1: FOUR BITTER YEARS FROM ONE MAN'S BITTER LIFE[ELIPSIS]

SUBTITLE OPT 2: HOW DO YOU THINK WE GOT ALONG[?][EXCLAMATION POINT]

SUBTITLE OPT 3: UNCLE TOM MY [EXPLETIVE][EXCLAMATION POINT]

SUBTITLE OPT 4: MY CONTRACT WITH SATAN[PERIOD] A THUG'S LIFE[PERIOD][/u]