Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 09:25 PM       
Or get impeached. Read up. Key words: during good Behaviour

Think I'm misinterpreting? Read about Supreme Court Justice William Douglas.

As far as changing and reinterpreting the Constitution, there is a legal process for that as well. However, the current interpretation of the US Constitution, as ruled by the US Supreme Court, is the LAW, and I challenge you to find anyone on Capitol Hill who'll tell you otherwise.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 10:26 PM       
Well for a woman who supposedly wants to die, who's being starved while getting pumped with morphine, who some people think is already dead or as good as dead... she is sure fighting hard not to go.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 12:18 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Electrolux
typical ....
Okay, Tom DeLay is a dickhead. Most of us agree on that.

But his father's death and Terri Schiavo have very little in common. DeLay's father couldn't breath on his own. He was completely comatose (sp?). His organs had gone into failure.

And the family came together and made this decision. The Schiavos and the Schindlers could maybe learn something from the DeLays......
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 09:57 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdxxxx
Well for a woman who supposedly wants to die, who's being starved while getting pumped with morphine, who some people think is already dead or as good as dead... she is sure fighting hard not to go.
How, exactly, do you define "fighting for life". You make the assumption that Terri can reason and is making a conscious effort to live. The womans brain is NOT functioning. Her brain stem, which controls BASIC BODILY FUNCTIONS is functioning, THAT"S IT.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 10:08 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdxxxx
It certainly is funny how the body tries not to let itself die, right?

At the moment, the woman is basically just a machine. She's incapable of any kind of higher thought. Her bodily processes still go because, as Cosmo said, her brain stem is still functioning, but nothing else. Herself and the machinery she's hooked up to have a lot in common.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 11:26 AM       
Except she poops and it comes out of a tube.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 12:28 PM       
I saw one of the signs a protester was holding up....it said "Terri is a normal, healthy disabled woman"
These people are completely fucking clueless....
Level 29 ♂
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 01:42 PM       
I wonder why people give such a shit about this. I don't understand it. It's not like if you held up a sign and protested her death and she ended up living that you personally rescued her from the pits of Hell or something.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 01:50 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
I wonder why people give such a shit about this. I don't understand it. It's not like if you held up a sign and protested her death and she ended up living that you personally rescued her from the pits of Hell or something.
Like abortion and religion, it causes an intense gut reaction, which, in turn, causes people to pick a team and root for it. In other words, it's another topic people can argue about without having to think too much or do a lot of homework.
Striped Tomato
Zebra 3 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 02:05 PM       
- Last night on CNN I saw a large Maple Leaf flag among the nutjobs protesting across the hospice.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 03:06 PM       
they're praying in front of the Federal Courthouse in Atlanta now.....
Mocker
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 03:47 PM       
Prayer is great. Did you know in a double-blind study people who were prayed for had a statistically significantly greater recovery rate than those who weren't, even when they didn't know they're being prayed for! I'm not making this up, I heard it on NPR.

I think maybe this article refers to the study he was talking about.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 04:35 PM       
We got to pray, just to make it today!

Isn't it insanity that an unbiased medical practioner whose judgement the law will accept can't be found in this matter?
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:02 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
So you agree that there are times when one branch should overstep its bounds in an extreme case to over turn a bad desision by another branch?
The judicial branch later overturned it because it was the will of an ever-evolving (toward the good, I hope) society and not a push by the excutive branch. If anything, I hope that such a push would come from the legislative branch which represents the will of the people and not the will of a few special interest groups trying for an end-around.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Mocker

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 07:56 PM       
Well some of you would have labelled her a corpse the second she ended up in a wheelchair. The point is, the coronars offics can't start an autopsy yet, and that says more to me then all the hersey testimony the Judges deliberated over.

If they're claiming she can't feel anything, and has no consciousness, then what's the point of the Morphine anyway?
Mocker
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 08:53 PM       
I don't think one person here would have "labeled her a corpse the second she ended up in a wheelchair." That you'd even suggest that makes it look like you think we're all heartless monsters.

As for the morphine,
Quote:
The issue of whether Ms. Schiavo was receiving morphine and why has been a persistent source of concern among the protesters outside her hospice. Some of the placards and statements from supporters have referred to her being on a morphine drip, which many saw as evidence that she was dying in pain.

Mr. Felos said Monday that Ms. Schiavo had never been on a morphine drip. She has received two five-milligram suppository doses of morphine in the last 11 days, most recently two days ago, he said. Each dose was minimal, he said, and would have worn off in about four hours.

"I understand the frustration of the Schindler family, but there is no place for statements such as, 'The hospice is trying to accelerate Terri's death,' " Mr. Felos said.

Dr. R. Sean Morrison, a professor of geriatrics and palliative care at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York, said the morphine dose was "less than taking one Percocet tablet" and unlikely to have any depressive effect on Ms. Schiavo's breathing or to hasten death.

Another doctor with long experience treating patients at the end of life, Douglas Nelson of Hickory, N.C., said that providing morphine to a patient in a persistent vegetative state was unnecessary because the patient would be unaware of pain or discomfort.

But, Dr. Nelson said, "It's not uncommon for the nurse to suggest, 'Let's just give her a suppository to be on the safe side.' "
http://nytimes.com/2005/03/29/national/29schiavo.html

Another source said it might be to "prevent convulsions" but I still don't see what the point of that is, unless they just don't want her bedside attendants freaking out. It's a good question to be asking though, and her father says she's on a morphine drip, so someone isn't telling the truth.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 09:21 PM       
Maybe the father is just an idiot who over exagerates or doesn't know what a drip is.
Mocker
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 09:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS
We got to pray, just to make it today!
Check please!
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 10:57 PM       
http://www.livejournal.com/users/terri_is_risen/
Mocker
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 11:52 PM       
HAR HAR!
Mocker

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 12:52 AM       
Not heartless Monsters.... heartless Muppets, maybe!!!

I don't really care if it's a drip or what. When I hear the word Hospice, I automatically think of Morphine... I just find it weird that they're giving it to her in any dose or form while saying she's the equivalent of dead. Are they scared she'll start blinking up a storm?
Level 29 ♂
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:37 AM       
They're doing it because it would be bad PR not to. Most people think letting a dead woman starve is cruel.
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 10:49 AM       
I think I'm a mean person.

Every time I think of her dying I envision it being like the first kill on Maniac.
Level 29 ♂
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 11:02 AM       
They apparently announced that she's officially dead now.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 11:04 AM       
Yes, they did.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...hts_schiavo_dc

PINELLAS PARK, Fla. (Reuters) - Terri Schiavo, the brain-damaged Florida woman at the heart of a bitter right-to-die dispute that drew in the U.S. Congress and President Bush, died on Thursday, 13 days after a court halted her tube feeding, a spokesman for her parents said.