Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shadowdancer21b is probably a spambot
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 08:28 PM        Shadowdancer reviews Gladius on Gamecube
Gladius was developed by Lucasarts for Gamecube, PS2 and XBOX. Remember those Halcyon days when multi-system games released for all platforms at the same time? Gladius is the only gladiator game on consoles. Ever. I, Gladiator was a platformer and Circus Maximus was a crappy chariot racing game. Gladius puts you in control of a stable of gladiators, recruiting more as you go on, roaming the countryside competing in leagues and tournaments for glory and wealth. There's a standard "Save the world from the Darkness" RPG plot going on as well, but it mostly stays in the background allowing the arena, the star of the show, to have the spotlight. There is a large variety of gladiators available. Want a bear? Got it. Want different kinds of javelineer? Got it. Want a yeti or satyr? You betcha.

But Shadowdancer, what about spellcasters? We got shamans, summoners, channelers and more! There is a balance system of light, medium and heavy unit types that are in a rock, paper, scissors balance with support units standing apart from the circle. Now, according to their system, light trumps heavy, but this is simply not the case. Heavy units do not necessarily have lower accuracy against light units and they certainly don't hit less hard. Light units have high mobility and accuracy with low damage and defense. This can be affected by some units abilities to do more damage via backstab or evasion abilities. But medium units for damn sure trump light units and heavy units hit medium units pretty hard, so the rock paper scissors almost universally works.There is also a damage bonus for having high ground but this is ignored by ranged attacks and magic so be forewarned, unless your ranged unit or spellcaster has the high ground then then damage bonus applies. The tutorial doesn't mention that.
There is a swing meter used in this game. You know, timed button presses for better damage? Thankfully you can turn it off and allow the dice gods to determine your fate. The swing meter ensures your active participation though as each different attack utilizes it differently. Combos, ranged attacks and spells especially.
Now the cool thing is that each unit has a customizable appearance. You can have team colors, or make each unit unique. Palette is limited, but how many colors do you really need? The graphics are solid for the time the game was developed, and the lip sync is even decent. Colors look a little washed-out depending on the lighting, but that's forgivable. I give the Graphics as solid 3.5/5.

The sound is very good. Music is epic and will change depending on the tide of battle-great touch that. The voices are good too, except for the male barbarian and male berserker, who sound like they are mumbling or have something in their mouth. Same voice actor I think. Otherwise good all around. 4/5

Gameplay is great. Each unit type except non-humans has a male and female version. Female units tend to have higher initiative and movement rates whereas males tend to have higher damage and constitution. Females do not have lower defense, just lower damage output and hit points. Nice tradeoff compared to the Final Fantasy Tactics "Women are weaker than soggy toast" design choice. There is a good variety of battles available here, none of which feel gimmicky. Even King of the Hill works nicely. I give gameplay a solid 4/5.

Managing your stable or, school as the game calls it is easy and works with a smooth interface. You can check your inventory separately from gladiator's equipment to monitor your gear. Also, shields can and will break so stock up! Weapons will affect your attributes as well. Some weapons will have higher damage, but will lower your accuracy, or defense, or both. Make sure you check the adjustments before purchasing to find the right choice. Also, you may want to wait for your gladiator to level up before you get that shiny new spear for him. Seems counter-intuitive at first, but the numbers are your friends and you want a good balance.

Complaints: Level caps based on rankings? Complete a regional tourney and unable to return afterward? Light units don't necessarily have higher accuracy or evasion against heavy units? Murmilos don't have giant tower shields? Murmilos THROW their shields? No beastmaster class?
I want very badly for LucasArts to make a sequel for the next generation. I think with a new coat of paint and fine-tuning of the system, people will seek this game out. I give it overall a 4/5. Great but can be improved. Make it happen!
Who am I kidding? The only non-Star Wars Lucas Arts game to get a sequel was Zombies Ate my Neighbors (It was called Ghoul Patrol and had a story!).
The ending is cool but for some reason prompts a save and your file after completing the game does not allow you to play the second storyline but instead simply loads up to show the credits again. Lamesauce.

Shadowdancer out!
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 02:07 AM       
What's a gamecube?
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 07:20 AM       
I'm sort of getting tired of not getting to read anything this guy writes because its too long.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 03:29 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly345 View Post
I'm sort of getting tired of not getting to read anything this guy writes because its too long.
'merica.
I hate this hacker crap!
MarioRPG is probably a real personMarioRPG is probably a real person
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 08:45 PM       
I've never even heard of this game.

LOVE, YOUR FIJIAN HOST DAD
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 09:43 PM       
It's an old Lucasarts game. I heard through the wires that it was very good.
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 10:10 PM       
Gamecubes are those systems that go with those funny-looking controllers some people plug into their Wiis.
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 11:44 PM       
i was excited about this game then i rented it and it was a turn based weird piece of game so i shut it off and took it back

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
Cranberry Everything
dextire is probably a spambot
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 07:54 PM       
That is one detailed review there, Shadowdancer!
I was told this game's battle system was similar to the original Fallout games. True?
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 08:22 AM       
That's one detailed review there, darkvare!
I heard you can just tell the rental place that it didn't work and you get your money back, true?
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 06:39 PM       
Haven't played Fallout so I couldn't say. It's fairly similar to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance with how it handles turns and initiative so on, but there is a cool thing where you can do move-attacks, stationary attacks and ranged attacks and spells depending on the character. I really like the flanking system. It rules.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 10:48 AM       
Not surprised that it is like Tactics, the creators of Gladius required their entire development staff to play through both Final Fantasy Tactics and Legend of Dragoon
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 08:03 PM       
That's an awesome nugget of info! Thanks for sharing that Pentegarn! BTW, Blackula rules, especially the sequel.