Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Art
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 10:28 PM        Need Actual Help
Okay, so I made this guy.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/IMG_0240.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/IMG_0241.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/IMG_0242.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/IMG_0243.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/IMG_0244.jpg

Only bisque-fired, intend to paint it over with acrylics. I want to make it look like weathered basalt, but I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to colors, and since this is going into my portfolio, I actually want it to look good. I know a few people round these parts can paint, so if anyone can give me some tips so I can make it look like this I'd appreciate it.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 11:15 PM       
Dude it looks like you broke it. Be more careful next time butterfingers!
I b Willies Cookie Tester
Lenor sucksLenor sucks
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:36 AM       
You could always follow the shadow in that picture, possible color maybe copper for the base, with raw umber or sepia for the shadowed parts.

It would create a nice tan look..
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 08:42 AM       
I could, but I really want to make a very convincing illusion that it's weathered black basalt. The problem with mimicking shadowing is that it only looks real at a distance.
Lenor sucksLenor sucks
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 11:25 AM       
Gris I wish I could help, but truth be told I honestly haven't a clue what you are referring too about 'weathered black basalt'; If you could be a little more specific :/

Very true about shadowing, I did miss calculate also that without seeing the picture up close It is hard to tell being as it probably looks different on my computer.

Although in contradiction, I have a couple friends who have no problem's mimicking shadow into a realistic look.

I wish I could help ya more, but most likely your own perspective would be the best. :/
Ancient Mariner
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 03:03 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenor View Post
Gris I wish I could help, but truth be told I honestly haven't a clue what you are referring too about 'weathered black basalt'; If you could be a little more specific :/

This is what I want
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 03:03 PM       
looks like oranges, blacks, browns and reds

you could try some technique like yo do when you're a kid where you draw a base color then draw others on top and put black at the top and then scratch it off or something :O

might want to test that idea first
Ancient Mariner
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 03:07 PM       
Yeah, I usually just lightly speckle sculptures with different colors over and over and over until I get what I want. It works with trying a bronze-patina look, but I don't think I can mimick basalt the same way. Probably would end up with an unconvincing greyish-black.
Ancient Mariner
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 03:09 PM       
...Actually, if I could find someone with a portable sandblaster, I might be able to genuinely weather it.

Problem is that it's only bisque fired and might shatter.
Lenor sucksLenor sucks
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 03:17 PM       
Black conte' ?

Im not sure if it comes in paint though..

But it would give it the black basalt look.
Ancient Mariner
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 03:21 PM       
Nope, conte' is clay and graphite. Wouldn't adhere even if you could make a paint out of it. Nice idea, though.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 01:36 PM       
There are spraypaints that are textured to do exactly that. Go to your local hardware store, and look for something that won't eat away at your sculpture.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 09:04 AM       
Quote:
This is what I want
rub some dirt on it
I Love Llamas
MisSFiT is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:51 PM       
So...

what happened?

I was going to tell you to layer it acylics and then use sandpaper or some shit to make it look weathered, but I'm sure you figured it out.
Ancient Mariner
Old May 30th, 2007, 03:24 PM       
I used fine grain sandpaper to completely smooth it out, then worked it over with heavy grain.

As for painting, I'm saving up to buy some paint for myself, since a couple of drunken highschoolers trashed the shit out of the campus ceramics room.