Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old May 16th, 2006, 11:19 PM       
I think they're all different stories set in the same world, but I don't really know for sure because I've only played the first two, and those were in Japanese so I didn't know what the fuck was going on. But they were really fun, and if the new ones are anything like the NES games then I highly reccomend checking them out.

Also:
http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/reviews/323/Fire_Emblem.html
http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/reviews/461/Fire_Emblem.html
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:16 PM       
Terrible news, folks.

It turns out I do not own the strategy guide for Paper Mario, so I cannot play the game. I am working on rectifying this, as well as obtaining a strategy guide for DK64. In the meantime, I have chosen a new game to play.

Final Fantasy Tactics

In unrelated news, I found out that Syberia II uses Starforce, so I will never get to play that game.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:08 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
It turns out I do not own the strategy guide for Paper Mario, so I cannot play the game.
what the fuck is wrong with you
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:38 PM       
What do you mean?
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:18 PM       
He means how fucking retarded are you that you need a strategy guide to play Paper Mario, because you do not need a strategy guide to play Paper Mario. Christ, Kirby's Dreamland is more complicated than Paper Mario.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:20 PM       
I don't need it. I want it. Hell, if I was ever really troubled by something, I could just use GameFAQs.

I just sometimes enjoy having a strategy guide to look at.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:22 PM       
so you buy strategy guides for no real reason, then complain about not having enough money to buy games?
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:39 PM       
Speaking of strategy guides, they're still selling FF8 guides brand new at Barnes and Noble. Crazy shit.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:35 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Woman
so you buy strategy guides for no real reason, then complain about not having enough money to buy games?
I'd rather spend the money on something I'm guaranteed to enjoy. I can't just go buy a brand new game for $30-$40 and hope I like it.

That said, I'm about 4 hours into FF Tactics, which includes two story-driven battles and two random battles. I forgot how long and hard this game can be. Like, I like how the last people on my team to act are Chemists, who revive my main guy who MUST survive or else it's game over, then the enemies have their turn and just re-kill him.

But I think I'm doing pretty good. I've got the bulk of my team up to around level 4, and I may pick up one or two more characters and work on them a little (if I can, since bringing a new Level 1 into even the initial battles can mean instant death). But I'm developing my jobs and skills fairly quickly. It's fun, just difficult. I think that's why I stopped playing in the first place; I got to this douche of a boss who raped my team over and over, until I finally lucked out and killed him.

Difficulty's no big deal, so long as it doesn't get ridiculous. I'd like to think that the introductory parts are just horribly imbalanced, and things will shape up better once my guys improve. I think the biggest problem here is that they overcomplicated the game. They don't give you enough of an idea on if you have a direct line of sight, and you have to commit to movement before you can attack, so you can't tell if where you're moving will be a good position to attack from. Then you have the zodiac compatability, monster raising, job propositions, having to desperately try and save a character from oblivion, earning EXP and Job Points through action, etc. It's just a really complex game, and probably not the best strategy game to start off with (FF Tactics is the only tactical RPG I've ever played).
Level 29 ♂
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:48 PM       
If you're having trouble raising weak characters, just put Equip Change on them and enter a random battle. Beat all the enemies but one, and then whack the last one into submission (It works best with Animal types, like those cat-things, because they run) and have the weak character unequip their sword attack one of your stronger characters. They get great EXP and JP for it.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:13 PM       
I keep levelling up jobs that I'm not using (or their abilities) and gaining no Job Points to learn new abilities with for the jobs I am using OR the jobs I'm levelling up.

I also bought a new ho. And all my guys are in the level 4 and 5 range, except for said ho who only got 30EXP in the last battle. But I'm working along the job tree. I have my main guy as a Monk with Spin Fist, a former Chemist-turned-Priest, a Squire with black magic, a dedicated Chemist, two Squires mulling about, and the ho (Squire).

I really need to read the instructions for this game again, because I really don't know what the fuck.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:44 PM       
Quote:
Quote:
I'd rather spend the money on something I'm guaranteed to enjoy. I can't just go buy a brand new game for $30-$40 and hope I like it.
there's an easy way to find out if something's good it starts with "g" and ends with "amespot"

Also, if you're that much of a cheap bastard you can just get a GBA emulator and download the Fire Emblem roms.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:46 AM       
Quote:
there's an easy way to find out if something's good it starts with "g" and ends with "amespot"

Also, if you're that much of a cheap bastard you can just get a GBA emulator and download the Fire Emblem roms.
You can't always trust reviews. More to the point, it comes down to personal tastes. A great game can still not be something you like. I don't like Halo, for example.

And I don't do illegal things like that.
Level 29 ♂
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:55 AM       
I would suggest making Ramza (or whatever you named him) powered up as far as he can go with Squire before moving onto another job. If you complete a convoluted series of events later in the game you can learn Ultima with him.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:42 AM       
Quote:
Quote:

You can't always trust reviews. More to the point, it comes down to personal tastes. A great game can still not be something you like. I don't like Halo, for example.

And I don't do illegal things like that.
That's it, I fucking give up. You are either hopeless when it comes to gaming or you will make any lame ass excuse to get out of playing a nintendo game, and either way I hope all of your consoles burst into flame and then leap at your testicles and burrow into your skin.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:07 PM       
Because I don't want to engage in illegal activities and because I don't want to blindly purchase games for large amounts of money?

I'll look into the NES game, and if I actually end up liking it, then it would make sense to move onto the GBA games and possibly the Gamecube game, which by that time, MAY be at $20 is Nintendo can afford it. I just won't be playing any of these soon because FF Tactics is like a 5000 hour game.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old May 19th, 2006, 03:23 PM       
Alright then, jeeze.

Also, if you like FF Tactics, chances are you'll like Fire Emblem as well, so there is no real reason to be afraid of shelling out 30 bucks and then not liking it.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:19 PM       
Quote:
Alright then, jeeze.

Also, if you like FF Tactics, chances are you'll like Fire Emblem as well, so there is no real reason to be afraid of shelling out 30 bucks and then not liking it.
It's hard to say if I like FF Tactics though. I will try Fire Emblem for the NES though, at some point.

Anyway, I ended up levelling Ramza to Level 7, and my Priest to Level 6. Everyone else is at Level 5 except for Delita and Algus who are at Level 2, and my ho who is at Level 3.

I got Ramza's Squire to Level 5, so I want to change him to a Knight for now. This so-called quest is nowhere near the start of the game, right? I think I'm allowed to pick a better class to help out with upcoming battles. Ramza also hits like a brick shithouse now and it all decked out in Knight gear.

I also changed a regular Squire into an Archer with Black Magic spells. I'm leaving all my other Squires as is, because I can't really afford to deck them out if they change jobs. I'd like another Knight-come-Monk, and eventually a female Thief, but those aren't in the cards.

djflsdajkfsdfa

Oh holy shit I just realized there are multiple lists for each job. Here I thought there were only four abilities for Squire but there's like 3 other pages of varying types of skills. And they're awesome skills like Counter Tackle and JP Up and fosadhosdosd

I'm sad now.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:08 AM       
UPDATE

Ramza is now level 11, and almost a level 8 Squire with all skills learned. Every character has learned JP Up now, and almost all of them have Counter Tackle (except for my level 8 Priest who has Weapon Guard). All my other characters are between 5 and 7, with the guest characters all weak and faggy.

I'm almost 9 hours in, and have only done 3 battle maps )one of which being the fight against the thieves). So I'm probably on the way to overpowering myself. But you know what? I went into the forest and got slaughtered by skeletons so there's no such thing as overpowering.
Level 29 ♂
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:09 PM       
Enemies in random battles level up with you, so all of the random enemies you fight will be as strong as your strongest character. The enemies in plot battles don't level up, however.

Edit: Also, I recommend stealing Algus' Battle Boots and putting them on your chemist or white mage.
Level 29 ♂
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:04 PM       
This thread got me into playing it again. Ramza with Yell and Accumulate is like sex on wheels.

Edit: Would it be wrong to kill Delita so he stops ganking the spirit crystals?
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:05 PM       
Crystals suck anyway. But yeah, the computer-controlled allies suck.

So, hey. Can you level up a job after you've learned all the skills? Because I have a Level 7 Squire who mastered all the abilities, and I don't know if the points he's getting are raising his level or not.

Also, I love my Priest and all, but it sure would be nice if the success rate of Protect/Shell/Wall were higher. Not because I need them right now, but he doesn't get any JP when he fucks up. It also would be nice if I could get the last few MP I need in his bar so he can cast Holy.

Also, I fucking jacked up Ramza. He's a Monk again, with Equip Armor and Guts. He's untouchable, and with Accumulate and Repeating Fist, he can pretty much one-punch any enemy.
Level 29 ♂
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:09 PM       
As for job levels: Yes, he will continue to level up.

And if you want your success rate to be higher, there's a skill for some mage class like Turbo MP where it uses more MP, but the effects of the spell are better.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:38 AM       
I have to say, I'm having a lot of fun just grinding in this game. Constantly learning new skills and changing jobs. Even though the enemies level up with me, I'm tearing the shit out of them and it's fun.

I think it just goes to show how much better I am at games nowadays. I bought this used for $15 years ago (back when it was going for quite a bit due to rarity), and I found myself finding it hard and tedious. But now, I'm really getting a feel for it and have a much better understanding of RPGs as a whole.

Although I can't seem to get Propositions. Maybe they're not available until a certain point in the game? I also think I need to invest in one more person, so I'll have a group of three to send off on jobs whilst still maintaining a primary group of 5. And I'm undecided on if I'll do any monster raising or not.
Level 29 ♂
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:48 AM       
I don't think propositions appear until you get Mustadio on your team.

Monster raising sucks.