Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Comics 'n Books
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 12:11 PM        Best ongoing comic book series right now?
What's your favorite ongoing comic book series these days?

I have to say I've been really enjoying the Streets of Gotham. More so than Batman & Robin at least until Quitely returns. The first 4 issues of Streets of Gotham were really well done. Not sure my verdict on Yost's 2 parter but issue 5 was decent (haven't read 6 yet) and Dini will be back for issue 7 anyway.

Brubaker's Captain America is still just as good as always. Rarely misses a beat. Reborn is good stuff.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 12:20 PM       
I've been reading reborn, too. Deadpool is usually pretty solid, but probably the best limited series I've read recently has been the Dark Reign Hawkeye stories. Bullseye as Hawkeye is just great.

That was very funny. Well done.
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 01:48 PM       
I'd agree that Deadpool is pretty good usually. He sure is getting tossed all over the place lately. I have yet to read Team-up 899. His current "main" series has had the good fortune of having Daniel Way onboard for the whole run so far.

Haven't read that Hawkeye series.

SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 09:43 AM       
As long as Deadpool doesn't become Wolverine.
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 06:07 PM       
Am I the only one who doesn't see the appeal in Quietly's art? It just looks weird to me. Streets of Gotham is currently my favorite too.
Intergalactic Overlord
CaptainXenu is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 08:21 PM       
I don't think i've read an ongoing comic book for a few years now. The last one I did was when Superman/Batman first came out.

I have been meaning to get around to reading Green Lantern/GLC and the recent Batman books since Dick Grayson took over the cowl because from what i've heard, they're some of the better stuff from DC right now.
Stuff
BatmanJohnson is probably a spambot
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:01 PM       
I personally love the Walking Dead. The art is awesome and the story is even better.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:22 PM       
I've really had enough of Geoff Johns. He's got a really shitty tendency to make things very convoluted, and that's one of the things that I really dislike about comic books. Sometimes he's got some good stuff, but a lot of it is just over-hyped and ends up being kinda shitty and full of "OH NO YOU DI'INT!" moments. The Blackest Night series is kinda underwhelming in that regard.

That was very funny. Well done.
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 01:05 AM       
I read the first few issues of The Marvels Project today and it was really good. It was also the first Marvel series I read in a long, long time.
Insane Writer
ZeldaQueen is probably a spambot
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 11:38 PM       
I'm rather fond of Runaways. However my library takes forever and a day to get the latest editions.

I'm also a big follower of Fables.
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says Man, "The Babel fish proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
Stuff
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 03:46 PM       
I haven't read Runaways yet. I've heard good things. I just read Kick-ass. It was nice and unconventional take on Vigilantes. I'm looking forward to the next issue.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 10:50 PM       
Starting reading "The Walking Dead" about a week ago based on batmanjohnson's comment on it. I am really enjoying it so far. Keep surprises me with some pretty good twists. I am on issue 17.
Stuff
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 01:32 PM       
It twists a lot. It's hard to predict some things in the Walking Dead.
Mocker
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 04:03 PM       
Yeah it is and I try not to even guess twists because I have found from movies that when you go in waiting or looking for the twist it ruins the entire movie, for me at least.
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Dec 19th, 2009, 06:22 AM       
I couldn't get into "The Walking Dead" too much. I read the first 2 TPB but I just thought it was boring and stopped. I found most of the characters to be pretty dull and very inconsistently written, even considering. Maybe it gets better but I couldn't get into it. I know the critics like it. I'll get my zombie fix from movies/games.

Quote:
I've really had enough of Geoff Johns. He's got a really shitty tendency to make things very convoluted, and that's one of the things that I really dislike about comic books. Sometimes he's got some good stuff, but a lot of it is just over-hyped and ends up being kinda shitty and full of "OH NO YOU DI'INT!" moments. The Blackest Night series is kinda underwhelming in that regard.
I think it's the concept more than the writing. I'm just not a huge fan of this event as a whole. Final Crisis, on the other hand, was really well done.

"Viking" has been kind of fun so far.

I'm a little confused with Streets of Gotham issue #7...
#1. The cover has Manhunter on it, who isn't part of the series issue itself just the second feature like it was last week.
#2. The top of the cover says "Also featuring Batman & Robin".... uh no... it's not....
How the hell did that cover pass QA?? Wrong cover and wrong feature...?

MrSmiley381 is probably a spambot
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 12:08 AM       
Deadpool is always great. I love the guy.

Savage Dragon has potential to be one of the best superhero comic series out there, but Erik Larsen is usually too busy with other projects, so poor old Dragon suffers.
Mocker
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 11:41 PM       
Chew has been alot of fun for the first story arc.
Stuff
Old Dec 24th, 2009, 10:59 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant10708 View Post
Chew has been alot of fun for the first story arc.
I love Chew! other than the one lackluster issue. Can't wait to pick up #7 today.
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 02:06 AM       
Batman & Robin has picked up pretty nicely lately. Morrison is giving us less of his "inner dialogue". Issues 8,9 and 10 are all quite solid. Streets of Gotham, on the other hand, needs to refocus.

Mocker
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 08:38 PM       
we need more comic disscussion on these boards.

comics are too damn expensive for me to keep up with
wizbenny is probably a spambot
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 11:24 AM       
Marvel lost me - which is sad since I practically devoured any Marvel title growing up and into my early adult years. Civil Wars were the death knell for me.

DC grabbed me for awhile with the Identity Crisis stuff and kept me until we ended up with Carebear colored power rings and all this "Dark Reign" nonsense.

Anymore, I find myself reading things by the independent guys. A lot of webcomics-turned-print like Looking For Group and PVPonline have consistently good ongoing storylines that are amusing and solid without being angsty.

Also the Eliopolis books are fun reads with my kids.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 11:36 AM       
I like this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Requiem_Chevalier_Vampire

The translated version tends to appear in Heavy Metal from time to time.
wizbenny is probably a spambot
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 02:30 PM       
Thanks for the link! I usually don't go for the dark stuff, but actually the premise sounds very interesting. I did watch that anime anthology/collection Dante's Inferno and it reminds me somewhat of that, which I did enjoy.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 02:46 PM       
Olivier Ledroit is a wizard. Everything he does looks freaking brilliant.
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 04:34 AM       
I don't seem to check out web comics much but maybe someday I'll get into them. Most of my computer time is spent either gaming or working on projects. Other than that I have to get away. I like the fact that you can still go into a comic book store and pick up the issues in your hand. Let's try to still support that industry. Newspapers can fuck off... but not comics.

I still like DC and Marvel although I have to get both in select doses. I've avoided the last few special events pretty much other than the crossovers.

As long as you follow the right series/issues both of them, Marvel and DC, still produce some good stuff.