Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:19 PM        Church exchanges supplies, shoes for religious access to public school students
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ptist-church/1

I have a big problem with this.

Some Christians I know have no problem with it because a Baptist group isn't threatening to them. I wonder if things would be the same if the local Chabad or mosque were the highest bidder. What about Jehovah's Witnesses? What about LDS?

I think this sets a bad, bad precedent.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:46 PM       
I like how the article is vague about what exactly the church can do at the school now that they have donated all that. It said they "visited 30 homes." What are they just going door to door based on a list of people who took their donated supplies? Did these people know they were accepting supplies from a church and that the church would be stopping by to talk to them about Jesus? If that is the case and they knew the church might come by to talk to them then I guess I dont really have a problem with that.

But then at the end it says...

Quote:
But Comparato does more than hope. He stands in the school halls surrounded by the pastoral team from the church praying in front of his office.
Cant say I really like this.

They should have just let the church make the donation then had the sign out front say something like...

"Thank you to the First Baptist Church in the Mall for their generous donation."

For a few days or maybe a week and been done with it. That way any religion or church or temple or whatever could also make a donation and all anyone would ever get was a "thank you" on a sign out front. I dont have a problem with any religion, just the freaks who try to make theirs everyone elses business. This will only lead to them all mixing and mingling in the halls and it can only be disruptive to why the kids are at school in the first place.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:56 PM       
I agree that the church should have just made the donation and, if they absolutely had to (so much for Matthew 6:3), proclaimed their donation to the world...then called it a good deed and moved on.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:26 PM       
This is only going to lead to different religions donating to the same school to try and recruit new people in a new territory than before. This is going to lead to religion gang fights between the students which then will lead to Degrassi: Crusades.

What happened to being anonymous while giving donations.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:42 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsa View Post
I agree that the church should have just made the donation and, if they absolutely had to (so much for Matthew 6:3), proclaimed their donation to the world...then called it a good deed and moved on.
Conveniently ignoring the bible when it interferes with your agenda. A proud MO of Christians since the first person countered with "Doesn't the Bible say, 'Judge not lest ye be judged'?"
teacup of sunshine
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:16 PM       
I've had a bad taste in my mouth about evangelizing to kids ever since that whole ice cream social fiasco. If it were my kid in that school, I would have a big, big problem with it.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:41 PM       
Yeah. Im curious about that myself.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:18 PM       
WORD. ICE CREAM SOCIAL ICE CREAM SOCIAL

I don't even really know what to think about this I guess probably what i think about it the most is when did advertising mean giving away people's home addresses and letting them wander around in school praying? And fuck the principal for praying, too. Principals shouldn't be allowed to pray I guess i agree with dimnos.

"Matthew 6"

Matthew 6 and that other verse about not bragging about your good works or whatever are my favorite arguments against god and jesus being GOOD FELLAS
Is a RoboCop.

The Leader is probably a real personThe Leader is probably a real person
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:52 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
The ice cream social fiasco? Could you elaborate?
When Kitsa was a wittle Kitsa she had a friend whose family attended some church. There was a ice cream social thing where families were supposed to bring their children's friends along to the church. What they did with the visiting children was stick them in a room and refused to let them out until they accepted Jesus Christ as their lord and savior. Once they did that they were allowed out to have ice cream with the congregation. Kitsa was one of those children and it has left emotional scars which are evident in every one of Kitsa's posts.
teacup of sunshine
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:18 PM       
Pretty much that, yeah. I tried to look up where I'm sure I spoke at length about it before and, weirdly enough, I can't find it.

Matthew 6:3 is the one about one hand not knowing what the other is doing...in other words, "don't brag about charity, jackass".

Edit: here it is.

http://www.i-mockery.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=44

for those too lazy to click:

"When I was a youngin' in school, a friend invited me to her church for an ice cream social. Stupidly, I thought I was just coming as a guest to some church function of hers...maybe hear a little bit about their brand of Christianity in the form of a pre-icecream prayer, or something.

When we arrived, the ice cream social had been laid out in this big church gym. I was grossed out because it was on long cafeteria tables and the ice cream "dishes" were nothing but a long expanse of plastic gutter. Seriously, plastic gutters, like troughs, stretching the length of the table. Women were scooping cheapie ice cream into it and here and there were bottles of syrup and canisters of sprinkles, and that was their ice cream social.

Anyway, we "guests" were immediately separated from our friends and taken off into a different room, where we were told to sit in row after row of metal folding chairs. I took a seat, wondering wtf was going on and just wanting to get out of there. Then their preacher came in and started on about how we were sinners and needed Jesus in our lives, blahblahblah. Keep in mind that this was a roomful of UNSUPERVISED CHILDREN without their parents or anything like that present. We were all immensely confused.

Then the preacher told us that we couldn't have any ice cream unless we accepted Jesus as our savior and were saved. As kids, we were aware by this point that this wasn't entirely kosher, some strange adult getting us away from our parents and trying to change our religion. But we didn't know what the hell to do because we just wanted out of there and most of us weren't going to be picked up for a few hours.

So the guy told us not to worry, that all we had to do was close our eyes. If we accepted Jesus and were saved, we should open our eyes and look at the preacher. Then we could go back in the gym with our friends and eat ice cream. I was at a loss. I didn't want the nasty plastic-gutter Aldi ice cream, but I didn't want to be stuck in a room forever with this guy, either. I decided to wait it out as long as possible, and closed my eyes.

Every once in a while you could hear a chair scrape as some kid gave up and accepted Jesus so they could get the hell out of that room. About every ten kids or so, we'd get a little reinforcement sermon about being sinners and going to hell and how we couldn't have any ice cream until we accepted Jesus as our savior.

Forty five minutes later, I was the last kid in the room and I knew for damn sure that I didn't want to be in there alone with that guy. I finally made a decision to fake him out. I opened my eyes and looked at him, which was no end of creepy-feeling, and he smiled and pronounced me good with God and fit to eat ice cream.

So I went into the other room and sat sullenly beside my friend while she shoveled ice cream into her mouth and asked where I'd been. Things were never the same between us after that."
Is a RoboCop.

Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:27 PM       
KITSA I STALK YOU

hAS RUG-BURN
Evil Robot is probably a spambot
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 08:32 PM       
The evenglicals are a bunch of jew-hatin nazis and the baptists is a white supremicist group. I say we all get a bottle a so-co and pregame it in the garage. then we run on down there 'n cut their balls of with an outboard motor I tell you what.
Is a RoboCop.

Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 08:33 PM