Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Buffalo Tom is probably a spambot
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 12:47 PM       
I agree with you that law enforcement efforts need to be increased to stop terrorism. However, your proposals only treat the symptom of a more pernicious disease and that is anti-Western hatred. Countries in the West, in particular the United States, are viewed as selfish and as having agendas that look after corporate interests over human interests. I mean, can you blame the large portions of people in Iraq who are spouting anti-American slogans? The U.S. military has crapped bombs all over the country, and now the American post-invasion administrators are handing over control of most of Iraq's infrastructure to American and pro-American corporations.

Quote:
Some recent highlights: At the end of March, building on his Order 39 of last September, Bremer passed yet another law further opening up Iraq's economy to foreign ownership, a law that Iraq's next government is prohibited from changing under the terms of the interim constitution. Bremer also announced the establishment of several independent regulators, which will drastically reduce the power of Iraqi government ministries. For instance, the Financial Times reports that "officials of the Coalition Provisional Authority said the regulator would prevent communications minister Haider al-Abadi, a thorn in the side of the coalition, from carrying out his threat to cancel licenses the coalition awarded to foreign-managed consortia to operate three mobile networks and the national broadcaster."
When people who perceive that have had the power to decide their future taken from them by other people with a vast store of resources, what means do they have to redress their situation? The terrorists are ready to give people their answer to this question.

What is the West's answer going to be?