Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 03:10 PM        New Popage
Ratzinger was picked rather quickly. Any thoughts?
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 03:39 PM       
This pope will last for no more than ten years. He's already pretty old.

Otherwise, I don't care as long as he doesn't decide to do stupid shit.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:16 PM       
It was decided a while ago. This is a compromise with old schoolers so the next Pope will be Latin or African.

Although, I've been told he is quite the scholar. At least we will get some cool debates.
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:50 PM       
Yeah there's a bit of a "lifetime achievement award" feel to this election. We'll see.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 08:44 PM       
I don't see the liberal compromise here. There's no way any cardinal espousing liberation theology will ever be chosen anyway, so hoping that you'll get a better pick after this guy dies is sort of silly.

I think he's the safe choice, and he is quite intelligent. He isn't the visionary that John Paul the Great was, but he can cary JP II's vision and principles, which is all the Church really wants out of this guy, IMO.

I was hoping they'd choose differently, but eh, I can deal.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:31 AM       
"Otherwise, I don't care as long as he doesn't decide to do stupid shit."

Would it actually matter what he does? The Pope is an anachronism in an anachronism. He has no real power in the Western world. Maybe in places like South America and Africa, but who actually cares what they do there? They could all die tomorrow, and it probably wouldn't affect 95% of the population of the West. Not to say they should, obviously that would be horrific, but just in terms of who this affects anyone.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:56 AM       
yes, the vicar of christ, God's representative to 1.1 billion people is an anachronism. there's a genius amongst us!
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:09 AM       
Quote:
yes, the vicar of christ, God's representative to 1.1 billion people is an anachronism. there's a genius amongst us!
Wouldn't say an anachronism, but you catholics sure have strange religious beliefs. Note how almost all other monotheistic religions have promptly killed their god's representatives on earth. Much more managable that way.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:36 AM       
" I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE; NO MAN MAY COME TO THE FATHER EXCEPT THROUGH ME." - JOHN 14:6

Funny how Jesus NEVER ONCE mentioned popes or priests, huh?
Mocker
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 11:57 AM       
Quote:
Funny how Jesus NEVER ONCE mentioned popes or priests, huh?

He ordained Peter for something.

Matt 16:18-19
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Jesus ordained Peter to be the leader of His Church, St. Peter chose his successor, who chose his successor, who .....you get the idea. Somewhere along the way, the Cardinals (all ordained by the Pope) were given the duty of electing a Pope from amongst themselves.
Mocker
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:00 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tenenbaum
"Otherwise, I don't care as long as he doesn't decide to do stupid shit."

Would it actually matter what he does? The Pope is an anachronism in an anachronism. He has no real power in the Western world. Maybe in places like South America and Africa, but who actually cares what they do there? They could all die tomorrow, and it probably wouldn't affect 95% of the population of the West. Not to say they should, obviously that would be horrific, but just in terms of who this affects anyone.
You know Latin America is in the West right? And that Africa has a tremendous population that if ever organized, would be ajuggernaut of a political and economic force? Do I need to explain how that can affect the other Western nations?

Or are smarmy white kids who find the idea of God silly the only ones who wield power in this world?
Mocker
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:54 PM       
Quite the opposite actually. Most of the power in this world is theocratic.
Dick Tayshone is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:32 PM       
And if you take into account the 1.1 billion people previously mentioned also popecratic!
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:50 PM       
"You know Latin America is in the West right? And that Africa has a tremendous population that if ever organized, would be ajuggernaut of a political and economic force? Do I need to explain how that can affect the other Western nations?

Or are smarmy white kids who find the idea of God silly the only ones who wield power in this world?"

Yes, all of those people COULD matter to the DEVELOPED western world, but they don't. They haven't become any sort of power what-so-ever, and the only thing they are being used for at the moment is cheaper-than-slavery labour. This is the reality of the world. It would be great if Africa could mobilize and pull itself out of the Third World, but I highly doubt this will happen. Over-population and lack of resources will make this very difficult.

In terms of the Pope representing 1.1 Billion Catholics - who cares? Who in the developed (ie. OUR) Western world actually listens to the Pope? The Pope could come out tomorrow, and say "Sex is a sin with a man and woman, only have sex with pineapples." No one would listen. The Pope could come out and say "Don't use contraception because it's a sin." Oh wait, HE DID, and NO ONE LISTENS TO HIM! In fact something like 53% of Catholics think you can still be a good Catholic after getting an abortion! A fucking abortion! [I am pro-choice btw, just so it doesn't go down that path] Wow, looks like the Pope really doesn't wield much, if any, influence in the developed world.
Mocker
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 02:20 PM       
Quote:
Yes, all of those people COULD matter to the DEVELOPED western world, but they don't. They haven't become any sort of power what-so-ever, and the only thing they are being used for at the moment is cheaper-than-slavery labour. This is the reality of the world. It would be great if Africa could mobilize and pull itself out of the Third World, but I highly doubt this will happen. Over-population and lack of resources will make this very difficult.
You're right, because Western economies certainly aren't relying on manufacturing or anything. Because if those factories closed down no billion dollar companies would be royaly fucked. Nope, its not like that at all.

Quote:
In terms of the Pope representing 1.1 Billion Catholics - who cares?
The 1.1 billion Catholics for starters.

Quote:
Who in the developed (ie. OUR) Western world actually listens to the Pope?
I'm almost affraid of the coming answer, but what the fuck is "our" Westernb World?

Quote:
The Pope could come out tomorrow, and say "Sex is a sin with a man and woman, only have sex with pineapples." No one would listen.
They don't just come out and say it. They research and debate and give reasons for their desiscions.

Quote:
The Pope could come out and say "Don't use contraception because it's a sin." Oh wait, HE DID, and NO ONE LISTENS TO HIM!
Except for the strict Catholics who do. But, I'm sure you have spojken and know all of them so well to get that kind of personal information.

Quote:
In fact something like 53% of Catholics think you can still be a good Catholic after getting an abortion! A fucking abortion!
Source?

WorthlessLiar is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:52 PM        re
I don't see how people can readily accept a guy chosen in a secretive process as the arbitrer of their beliefs - one of the reasons I'm not Catholic anymore. Perhaps one of the reasons they have the secrecy oath is because some people are stupid enough to believe they actually comune with divine sources for to elect the pope.

So sayeth the spider.
Mocker
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:00 PM       
But Jesus called Peter a ROCK. HOW can you not take that to mean that the Pope is legit?!
Mocker
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:24 PM       
Quote:
and upon this rock I will build my church
I guess you missed that the first time.
Mocker
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:27 PM       
Quote:
Perhaps one of the reasons they have the secrecy oath is because some people are stupid enough to believe they actually comune with divine sources for to elect the pope.
What about the people stupid enough to talk about something they obviously are ignorant of?

The secrecy is actually meant to avoid outside political pressure. The conclave itself is mostly debate, research, and yes, prayer.
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Rez is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:42 PM       
which is why they meticulously install devices throughout the church to jam LISTENING devices.

:/

theres tons of political pressure from things that listen to what you're saying.

this organization of priests is like most others. regular people with inflated sense of purpose of which the thrill died off long ago, so whatever descisions they make are more political and power-play minded than anything that involves higher principles to it.

i dont mind the pope, but it was a waste.

Ratzinger blasted rock music as a “vehicle of anti-religion”. He said rock and roll is a secular variant of an age-old ecstatic religion, in which man “lowers the barriers of individuality and personality” to “liberate himself from the burden of consciousness”. Rock is thus “the complete antithesis of Christian faith in the redemption”.
Mocker
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:58 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
Quote:
and upon this rock I will build my church
I guess you missed that the first time.
Yeah, I TOTALLY missed that! How could I not interpret that to mean the Pope is the only TRUE head of the only TRUE Church.

I also missed the part where he said "No man goes to the Father, but by me, but only after he clears it with Peter first."
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:59 PM       
whoa that's an excellent description of rock music!
Mocker
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:29 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm
Wouldn't say an anachronism, but you catholics sure have strange religious beliefs. Note how almost all other monotheistic religions have promptly killed their god's representatives on earth. Much more managable that way.
Somebody's a fan of Horkheimer and Adorno!!

However, you could argue that it's more managable for a teeny, tiny brains to actually humanize that which we don't understand, no?
Mocker
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:34 PM       
I have to say, this whole argument sort of reminds me od the dynamic between Mets and Yankee fans. Met fans (or secular humanists), no matter how good they are, are ALWAYS infatuated with the Yankees (the religious, particularly us nasty Christians).

Yankee fans, on the other hand, just want to live and let live (unless of course the Mets get in our way, in which case we need to crush them).

Come on guys, baseball? American past-time (sorry Helm)? Sports? Americana?
Mocker
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:51 PM       
http://www.catholicherald.com/saunde...saun970626.htm

If you're interested in a counter-point.