Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 05:42 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuohlim View Post
I basically meant negligible with respect to kinematics in the macro world. I'm an engineer first, (shitty) physicist second. It just makes no sense to me that a "quantum particle sea" could be the driving mechanism behind propelling a space craft.

About a hundred years ago, my QM prof gave us a thought experiment to demonstrate the absurdity of certain quantum effects manifesting in the physical world. The concept of tunnelling was one such effect - he talked of taking one of the smaller students in the class and throwing him against a brick wall trillions upon trillions of times. If quantum mechanics applies to this situation, eventually, he said, the student will tunnel through the barrier.

He meant this as an allegorical description of one of the original arguments against the reality of quantum mechanics (skeptics shouting "How can this be?" at the top of their proverbial lungs) because, of course, students aren't electrons and only at the subatomic level can particles really behave like waves.

This whole propulsion thing makes me think of a similar story about something I believe was called the "gyromagnetic effect" that I heard about long ago. It turned out to be a perpetual motion machine.
You may already be there.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 07:40 PM       
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 12:53 AM       
I made this:

For this: http://arxiv.org/abs/1206.0780

I guess it was shown at some science conference in spain.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 01:24 AM       
Makes me want to load Descent 2 and battle some of you foos.
Thrills and Oblongs
Shrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 05:34 AM       
I just started reading Dawkins 'The God Delusion'. I was expecting to find it brash and angry.

So far, it's witty, well informed and wholly enjoyable. I now want to have tea at his house. We could be sarcastic together over tea and 'diminutive mythical being' cakes.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 03:09 PM       
the only thing i remember reading by dawkins was the one about showing how monkeys/computers could write shakespeare :O ;o
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 02:15 PM       
Evidence of GOD Particle Found

I'm not going to hold my breath, but it seems we are on the doorstep. Of what, I'm not sure.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 10:14 AM       
small things, I believe

and what are these particles made of

and so on
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 05:18 PM       
HIGGS BOSON FOUND. FAULTY FIBER OPTIC CABLE TO BLAME

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 08:15 PM       
My thoughts exactly - let's see what a thorough data analysis concludes, shall we?
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 03:29 AM       
https://twitter.com/#!/derpparticle

The term 'god particle' nauseates me.
HEY REMEMBER WHEN A NEUTRINO WENT FASTER THAN LIGHT? GUYS? OH IT DIDN'T?
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 03:45 AM       
THE BEST RETWEETS
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 01:34 PM       
i'm disappointed in myself that at first i thought all the god particle/christian comments were funny
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 05:21 PM       
Me too, at first I thought they were being ironic. It's still funny though!

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 02:29 PM       
Opossum protein neutralizes nearly all poisons, could have benefits for humans

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...190604532.html

Quote:
scientists then injected mice with the LTNF protein and subjected the rodents to venom from otherwise deadly creatures, including Thailand cobras, Australian taipans, Brazilian rattlesnakes, scorpions and honeybees.
When the venom did not kill the mice, the mice were then exposed to deadly poisons, including ricin and botulinum toxin. And again, the LTNF protein was able to diffuse the poison, leaving the mice unharmed.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 09:06 PM       
Invincible fuckers
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 10:01 PM       
My God how I hate possums.

In other news, the newest Mars rover is almost ready for its close-up.

I hope I just didn't just jinx the landing. :o
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 10:59 PM       
Another Mars rover? What is that, like 5 now? Fuck that. I want a Jupiter probe damn it.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 11:18 PM       
too expensive

also dumb

Mars is still important. Jovian planets aren't solid, anyway - I want rovers.
BANNED

Old Jul 31st, 2012, 11:32 PM       
jovian planets are solid on the inside
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 11:33 PM       
shut the fuck up with your density
BANNED

Old Jul 31st, 2012, 11:39 PM       
a probe wouldn't need solid ground anyway
after enough bourbon ...
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 12:50 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
jovian planets are solid on the inside
Pressure at the surface would likely require significant engineering enhancements, not to mention the RF interference making communication with the probe nearly impossible (remember Galileo? Lost contact about 1/3 of the way into Jupe's atmosphere, though that was more due to the local environment than interference). Tie this to the recent history NASA has had regarding landing probes on Mars (40% failure rate?) and my thoughts would be a Jupiter rover isn't worth the risk.

What about landing a probe on Io, Europa or Ganymede - each of which would be far more interesting from a scientific standpoint. easier to accomplish and we could study the insides of the moon without exclusively relying on craters. And, NASA has done it before, on Titan.

Last edited by Colonel Flagg : Aug 1st, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
BANNED

Old Aug 1st, 2012, 12:54 PM       
yea id like to see one landed on the moon they suspect has life on it. but then don't most of the gallilean moons have some crazy shit going on from gravity/proximity to jupiter?

a probe wouldn't have to be a rover. they already crashed a probe there to try to get information before. As far as I remember it was relatively successful.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 01:32 PM       
Quote:
yea id like to see one landed on the moon they suspect has life on it. but then don't most of the gallilean moons have some crazy shit going on from gravity/proximity to jupiter?
The problem with landing a probe on Europa is contamination of the local environment (ocean under the ice) with earthly bacteria. As far as tidal forces are concerned, you are correct in that they are cited as one of the reasons Io is so volcanically active. They may also be partly responsible for Europa's subsurface ocean remaining liquid.

Quote:
a probe wouldn't have to be a rover. they already crashed a probe there to try to get information before. As far as I remember it was relatively successful.
Yes, this was the Huygens probe I referred to briefly above that "crash" landed on Titan. "Relatively successful" is putting it mildly - it was and still is a monumental achievement in space exploration on a number of levels.

As far as I am aware NASA (or any other space agency) has never crash-landed a probe on any of the four Galileian satellites.