Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 06:17 PM       
I went to code my glucometer and happened to notice that my test strip canister has an expiration date of September...2005.

Oops.

I had some blood-glucose weirdness going on today but I hesitated to check because I didn't know if I could trust the results.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 10:13 PM       
I think it's referring to completely different universes. Parallel universes, as I recall, are universes that result from the quantum mechanical observations made on subatomic particles. In the animation, these would be part of the 7th dimension, where all possible pathways collapse to a point. The 8th dimension, I think, could be represented by a surfeit of antimatter rather than of matter at the completion of the Big Bang; or even perhaps a different mode of "universe-initiation" not involving a Big Bang (perhaps a Gnab Gib?). In other words, a universe where the known physical constants and physical laws do not apply.

I know a good speculative fiction novel that explores this concept. The novel s fictional, but the physics applied within it is accurate, which makes it a very interesting read.

But what the hell do I know, I'm a chemist, for Christ's sake!
You may already be there.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 10:15 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post

It's pretty easy to whip old racist into a frenzy.
Glenn Beck appeals to my inner conservative nutjob.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 11:39 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
I think it's referring to completely different universes. Parallel universes, as I recall, are universes that result from the quantum mechanical observations made on subatomic particles. In the animation, these would be part of the 7th dimension, where all possible pathways collapse to a point. The 8th dimension, I think, could be represented by a surfeit of antimatter rather than of matter at the completion of the Big Bang; or even perhaps a different mode of "universe-initiation" not involving a Big Bang (perhaps a Gnab Gib?). In other words, a universe where the known physical constants and physical laws do not apply.

I know a good speculative fiction novel that explores this concept. The novel s fictional, but the physics applied within it is accurate, which makes it a very interesting read.

But what the hell do I know, I'm a chemist, for Christ's sake!
SHIT'S INSANE!
mmm muffins
Wiffles is probably pretty okWiffles is probably pretty okWiffles is probably pretty okWiffles is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 06:34 PM       
If there are multiple universes, the energy required to open a rift between universes must be pretty immense. I don't know if there will ever be a power source capable of such feats. Also, I love your avatar, Tadao ^^
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 06:47 PM       
Well, like the video shows, that rift is already there and we just can't see it. Just like the 2d only sees the 3d jump and not the road it traveled.

I just can't stay away from bunny avatars. Makes me seem more harmless.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 07:31 PM       
Mr. Bun-bun be lickin' hims some Mr. Softee.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 07:39 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiffles View Post
If there are multiple universes, the energy required to open a rift between universes must be pretty immense.
I think part of the "string theory" is that these dimensions are curled up within nucleons, and form the basis for the strong nuclear force. It kind of rationalizes the existence of antiparticles, and the duality between antiparticles, and normal particles that move backward in time. In any event, the energy required to generate some of the short lived nucleons - omegas, kaons and the GOD particle (the Higgs Boson) - is indeed immense. Creating these particles can be thought of as moving normal matter through different dimensions ... maybe.

If in reading this you believe I've had too much to drink tonight, you may have a point.

EDIT: Where's Seth when you need him? I could use a good dose of theology right about now.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 09:00 PM       
Is this now the ask Mr. Wizard Flagg thread?
Mocker
elx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 09:04 PM       
Quote:
"string theory"

-MODERATOR MILHORSE
after enough bourbon ...
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 09:55 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimnos View Post
Is this now the ask Mr. Wizard Flagg thread?
Not that I'm aware, Mr. Dimnos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elx View Post
Yes. Yes, I know.

On the bright side, this is just in from the folks at NASA - after 2 years of work. It's one of the more important discoveries they've made recently.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/space/1...met/index.html
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 10:15 PM       
On that note, today I saw a show on how they are near completion on a planet seeking telescope. I was kinda shocked to find out that there was no actual proof of planets out side our solar system till a few years ago. Right now they can only tell if planets the size of Jupiter are near a sun. They also said that we should know in about 5 years if there are earth like planets in nearby solar systems. With all this space jizz flying around and the probability that there is an earth like planet, well IDK what then but it's pretty cool.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 10:29 PM       
Yep. It was science fiction only about 10 years ago, and now there are about 350 confirmed planets around other stars, and about 40 known multiple planet systems. The research groups have also found some of these "plus-size" planets in habitable zones about their stars, which means that any large moons about these planets could have the potential to support life as we know it. SETI doesn't seem so far-fetched anymore.

I agree, pretty cool.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 11:51 PM       
Quote:
Not that I'm aware, Mr. Dimnos.
Damn.

I was kind of wondering about this same subject the other day. If we are so busy trying to find water on other planets and moons, why arent we trying to get a better look at comets? Are they not giant hunks of ice and dirt hurtling through space?
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 11:53 PM       
Humanity cannot live on a comet, Dimnos.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 12:10 AM       
Microbials man. Microbials!
Dogs Get Put Down
DevilWearsPrada is probably a spambot
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 02:49 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiffles View Post
If there are multiple universes, the energy required to open a rift between universes must be pretty immense. I don't know if there will ever be a power source capable of such feats.
The only thing, in theory, that would be able to bridge two universes would be the sum of all energy in a single universe. Even if that was possible, you'd have to have the energy directed in the right way, which is, if the theory that states that there are an infinite number of universes that allow for every event that could possibly happen to happen is correct, impossible to not have happened/been happening/whatever. Then again, so is every event that could possibly happen

Anyways, you shouldn't count on it ever happening in THIS universe based on an infinite amount of reasons that could possibly drive someone insane
after enough bourbon ...
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 12:26 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimnos View Post
Damn.
Not to worry, citizen. If I can provide some insight to a query, I will always try. However, on these boards there's only one individual worthy of being the "Go-To Answer Guy". And he has his own thread already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimnos
I was kind of wondering about this same subject the other day. If we are so busy trying to find water on other planets and moons, why arent we trying to get a better look at comets? Are they not giant hunks of ice and dirt hurtling through space?
Yes, very little has been done in the arena of comet reconnaissance, or asteroid reconnaissance for that matter. In my opinion, this is where the immediate future of space exploration lies - looking for raw materials amongst the smaller denizens of our own solar system.

On a related note, the "Dawn" mission to the asteroid belt using ion propulsion technology will be arriving at Vesta within 2 years.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 03:33 PM       
I demand a comet molesting satellite / station.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 06:34 PM       
http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/
after enough bourbon ...
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 10:01 PM       
Does this individual work for USA Today?

Seriously, there's some fascinating stuff in there.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 10:12 PM       
I've never been into statistics, but he keeps me browsing with interesting graphs.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 04:07 PM       
I work with 10 pound weights (OH SO BUFF!) but I'm usually on muscle relaxers at the same time. Do you think the muscle relaxer helps diminish the muscle gain?
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 08:49 PM       
I would think so.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 09:36 PM       
Especially if the muscle relaxer is tequila.