Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 10:05 PM        The decline of my generation.
I fear for my future. Not because of anything that is wrong with me, but with the rest of the teenagers out there. In school today, I had the displeasure of being paired up with two "preppie" girls who will remain nameless, not to protect the innocent, but because I don't care enough about them to know them that well.

Well, anyway, they were talking about some kind of purses or something and they were saying how they weren't THAT expensive. I got inquisitive and asked about the prices, and one of the geniouses said "Well, the small ones are only $190.00."

After regaining semi-consciousness, I asked why the hell thye needed a $190 purse. The fucking purpose of a purse is to carry money, but if you spen $190 on it, you have no money to put in it. And don't get me on how much they thought a decently priced shirt or pair of shoes is. Lets just say that it is about three times as much as is neccesary.

Why is this a problem? I'll tell you. They are obsessed with the idea that money can buy happiness, but I can tell you right now that at least one of these girls will be an unmarried mother of three that gets unemployment checks every month and an alcohos problem.

Listen kids, one of you is going to have to be the president someday. It is mandatory that one of you become president, and I do not want to have an even more stupid leader than we have right now. It isn't what you are wearing, but what you are thinking.
xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 10:12 PM       
Today at school I saw this kid with down syndrome in the hall and I was like, "WTF!!!". What is with that? I don't want some retard being the president!
Now with less sodium!

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 10:17 PM       
Bubba, as I love your sense of humor, I found hidden meaning in your message. No, we do not want a retarded person as president, so therefor, we should NOT elect any of the people that act the way my schoolmates do.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 10:30 PM       
there are several reasons why we think that our generation are going to torment in the pitts of hell. but thats probably what they said in every other generation.
Whatever they choose to do with there money is their choice and i know there are kids who don't spend a dime on anything. not to say 190 bux is an adequite price for a purse. I personally save my money as much as possible, only spend when i have to, and cry myself to sleep that night with guilt.
Our president isn't the brightest, but thats the countries fault for voting that way. hopefully, our generation will be wise enough to do otherwise.

ps. if purses and clothes disturb you, you don't wanna know how much girls spend on make up
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 11:11 PM       
So, you fellas are just figuring out teenagers are morons?

There is a sharp learning curve coming, guys.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 11:16 PM       
I agree with El Blanco. Kids have always been dumb. It just comes into sharp relief when you start growing up faster than some of your peers. And a lot of adults have always been dumb, too. Just be happy you're one of the smart ones.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 11:47 PM       
Gah! It's girls like these who make the rest of us look bad!

$25.00 is the absolute maximum I would spend on a purse. And I would use it until it fucking fell apart. And it had better be a good goddamn purse with lots of useful pockets to put stuff in to be worth $25.00.

Fuck, how do they get that kind of money? Do their parents pay for it all or are they high class call girls?
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 12:47 AM       
Their parents pay for it, of course. You wouldn't expect people like that to have jobs, would you? :P
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 01:05 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
Their parents pay for it, of course. You wouldn't expect people like that to have jobs, would you? :P
Nah. Not even a high class hooker would pay that much for clothing.
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 01:13 AM       
Quote:
I fear for my future. Not because of anything that is wrong with me, but with the rest of the teenagers out there.
I just like how he immediatley qualified that by saying that there is nothing wrong with him.
And like El Blanco said, I doubt teenage stupidity is a new trend, and I doubt it is rampant enough to justify fear for the future in and of itself.
Nona F. Mecklenburg
Big McLargehuge is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 01:29 AM       
I've known that everybody my age is stupid since i was in 8th grade.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 01:43 AM       
Its just that teenagers have more ways to express their stupidity now. And society is a lot more accepting of it. Wouldn't want to stunt the little darlins' creativity and self esteem, now would we?

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 02:34 AM        Pricks
Screw all you insensitive selfish pricks. You people are all the same. "Oh I would NEVER spend that much on a purse..." Blah blah blah. It's all about you isn't it?

What about the Cambodian children who earned 27 cents a day for making that $190 purse? What becomes of them when people stop buying $190 purses? Sure $190 may SEEM like a lot, but you're not just buying a colorful and handy accessory, you're helping a poor Asian child stave off malnutrition just one more day.

Be selfish if you want. But I for one am glad that someone is rewarding the hard working children of the Pacific Rim.
Now with less sodium!

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 03:39 PM       
@ GAsux
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 03:50 PM        wow
Ah the power of the designer label.

Sadly.... $190.00 ain' that bad depending on the designer.

Louis Vuitton purses are about $750 for their mid range. Though I won't defend the price, I will defend the quality. Gucci, Prada and the rest don't even come close to the quality in a LV bag.
Now with less sodium!

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 03:51 PM       
How much was your purse, Vibe?
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 04:40 PM       
So according to this logic, people can just as easily judge your intelligence and predict your future by your purchases? One could just as easily think you are 'stupid' for spending $50 on a videogame or an action figure or a comic book... or $20 for a tshirt with some wacky take on brand recognition ....or whatever it is that you are into.

Why do you care?
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 04:44 PM       
That reminds me of my dad telling me about a tv special were women were spending 20000 on really high heel shoes, but they dont fit them well so they pay another 10k or so to fix their feet for the shoes.

ok so it has nothing to do with it. but it is pretty nuts, am I right guys?
Now with less sodium!

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 05:27 PM       
Soundtest, the purpose of this thread is that what people buy does NOT reflect who they are. THAT is my point. All these people that buy that crap are posers. What they buy doesn't reflect who they are, because they are NOBODY. They have no sense of self worth, because they have no sense of self. They are one large mass controlled by the idea of "popularity".

What is popularity, though? What is "Cool"? these are all abstract concepts created by a society that demands conformity and limited thought. It is a means of control. $700.00 for a purse is ridiculous. It has a very limitied functionality, and you can get the same effect from a much cheaper product. A purse is a purse. It is a cloth bag with a handel. Sunglasses are sunglasses.

Your example of videogames and comic books is not relevant because not all games and comics are the same. You get an unlimited source of entertainment for 50 dollars, whereas, compared to the purses, a limited function for 700 dollars.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 05:32 PM        LOL
Depends on which one I am carrying.....

My favorite is my $0.99 one I found at a bead shop that has an awsome Geisha pattern on it. Yes 99 cents.....go figure.

I also own 2 from Louis Vuitton both over $500.00 each with matching wallets over $300.00 each (I didn't pay for them. Nor would I. Gifts from a very good friend of mine who is an LV junkie...his wife has 7 or 8, some over $1400.00 plus matching wallets....total junkie)
To be honest I HATE carrying these. They make me nervous......

I own a few from 9 West, Kate Spade, Guess and Kenneth Cole all are between $20.00 and $80.00. I usually buy mine from places like Marshalls, Ross and E-bay as I get them for about 1/2 price.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 06:00 PM        Purses
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3006

$2599.00 on e-bay
Now with less sodium!

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 06:11 PM       
That is sad. I hope no-one buys it. I hope Louis Vuitton goes out of business.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 06:25 PM        LOL
I doubt they will. They are the last real status symbol designer.

When other companies like Gucci and Prada lowered their price and their quality, Louis Vuitton did the opposite. They completely dropped their low end ($200-300) bags and raised the price on their existing lines to near $1000.00 each.
They wanted to remain a status symbol....Not have every little trendoid who had a few hundred to blow carrying their items.
In a way I respect the company for this move. For them it isn't about trend or about nabbing the easy few hundred per item. It is about keeping their name synonymous with status and high end style. They believe in quality versus quantity in their product and their customers.

Not that I could ever afford them....and not like they are really "me"
Like I said.....my favorite is my kitchy geisha bag. So much more my personality.
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 07:33 PM       
Quote:
Soundtest, the purpose of this thread is that what people buy does NOT reflect who they are. THAT is my point.
Quote:
I fear for my future. Not because of anything that is wrong with me, but with the rest of the teenagers out there.
Actually your point seems to be more about jerking yourself off. There is a hope for the future Immortal Goat! Kids like you! There you go, sport. It's what you were waiting for, wasn't it?

Quote:
All these people that buy that crap are posers. What they buy doesn't reflect who they are, because they are NOBODY. They have no sense of self worth, because they have no sense of self. They are one large mass controlled by the idea of "popularity".
Explain to me how this 'poser' umbrella of yours covers those who carry LV handbags, but not those wearing band tshirts or expensive goth accessories. How about those deliberately trying to dress as anti-scene as possible? Are these not also attempts to obtain, gain, or maintain social status, albeit within a different subculture?

And being a SOMEBODY sounds pretty important.

Quote:
$700.00 for a purse is ridiculous.
To you, yes. To me? I wouldn't even pay $7 for a purse. But it's obviously worth that to someone, so what's your point? They are sheep?

GOOD ONE
Now with less sodium!

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 07:40 PM       
Those people who dress as anti-scene as possible just to say they are not "mainstream" and that they gotta be "heard" are just as bad. And no, I am not the hope for my future, because society is designed to keep the people like me down for as long as possible. Society looks down on free thought. That is the way it is. If you think outside the box, then you are an outcast. Once you see the things making the shaddows on the cave wall, you cannot go back, but no one else wants to join you.