Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 01:31 AM        Lawyer names 10 Worst Toys
Bag O'Glass and Happy Fun Ball didn't make the list this year.

_______

http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/18/news...toys/index.htm

'10 Worst Toys' are unwrapped

Consumer group WATCH raises red flag for Supremo Slingshots, Ribbets the Frog and rubber yo-yos.
November 21, 2003: 9:55 AM EST
By Parija Bhatnagar, CNN/Money Staff Writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - The Supremo Slingshot, the Nickelodeon Gooze Soda Fountain and Ribbets the Rhythm Frog made the annual "10 Worst Toys" list unveiled Tuesday by a Boston consumer safety group.

This is the 31st annual list compiled by Ed Swartz, a product liability lawyer for plaintiffs and founder of the nonprofit group WATCH, or World Against Toys Causing Harm. The list is intended to warn parents against toys that could be dangerous to children.

But the government's Consumer Product Safety Commission as well as the Toy Industry Association both took issue with the WATCH list, saying that their investigations usually do not find fault with the toys featured on the ist.

Pamela Johnston, a spokeswoman for TIA, said Swartz's annual list is an "unnecessary" alarm bell for parents.

"Based on long-term studies of hospital emergency room data, the CPSC has repeatedly concluded that toys are indeed the safest of 14 categories of common products found in the home. To suggest that a toy is 'potentially' dangerous when no real danger exists creates unnecessary alarm," Johnston said.

She said parents should carefully review instructions regarding proper usage, age appropriateness and safe-play practices.

There were an estimated 212,400 toy-related injuries treated in U.S. hospital emergency rooms and 13 toy-related deaths last year, according to the CPSC.

Separately, a retail industry group released its list of hot toys for the holiday season, led by old favorites such as Barbie, Care Bears, My Little Pony and Hot Wheels. (For more on that list, click here.)

In its list, WATCH said the Supremo Slingshot, made by Prime Time Toys Ltd., is capable of "forcefully firing the balls with which it is sold and has the potential to cause serious eye injuries."

"Some hazardous toys remain in toy boxes because purchasers have not received notice of a recall. Others remain available because they were never tagged for recall by the CPSC despite proven hazards," WATCH said in a press release.

The group also warned that the Yo yo Water Ball and Yo yo Squeeze Toy -- soft rubber balls hung from long, stretchy cords -- can wrap around a child's neck and restrict or even cut off circulation.

The CPSC in September did alert consumers that the Yo yo Waterball, made by Imperial Toy Corp., posed a "low but potential risk of strangulation."

"While it is a risk, we determined that it didn't meet the legal threshold for regulatory action," said CPSC spokesman Ken Giles.

Also on the list is the Nickelodeon Gooze Super Scented Soda Fountain, sold in cherry cola, grape soda, mint chocolate chip and marshmallow flavors.

"The manufacturer warns of the potential for 'allergic reaction' and further warns: 'DO NOT EAT!' Toys, especially those that can be mouthed and swallowed, should not have the smell and look of real food," WATCH said. The soda fountain is manufactured by Flying Color Toys, a division of Jakks Pacific (JAKK: Research, Estimates).

Jakks Pacific spokeswoman Genna Goldberg said the company takes child-safety issues very seriously. "We are astonished that this organization would have included this product on this year's list. Our Gooze products are activity-toy compounds, not food products, and are clearly marked as such on the packaging."

WATCH also said to watch out for the Rhythm Frog, made by International Playthings and sold for 1-year-olds. "Sold with the toy, however, are jingle-bell bracelets, meant to be worn on the wrists or ankles of babies. The metal bells on these bracelets can detach, causing an ingestion hazard for small children," the group said.

Prime Time Toys could not be reached for comment. International Playthings and Imperial Toy did not immediately return calls for comment.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 04:59 PM       
Bah. I miss the days when we all grew up around dangerous toys. I don't know about giving small and breakable things to infants, but by the time a kid is three years old he should be able to keep from killing himself at least, and when he hurts himself with a toy he'll figure out pretty quick not to do that again. You learn faster and end up smarter and safer if you have a few accidents along the way. We don't need these whiny overprotective fools deciding what we should and shouldn't give to our kids.

A toy slingshot is capable of forcefully firing balls? No shit. They used to give kids real slingshots with steel balls (or we picked rocks up off the ground). And BB guns. When we were six, seven years old. Of course they were dangerous. That's why we didn't shoot each other with them.

Fuck these people.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 05:25 PM       
I hate people who have a victim mentality and demand special treatment.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 06:04 PM       
So we are raising a generation of pussies. That's just wonderful. I swear I had something similar to that water yo-yo ball thingie, and I never strangled myself. I think the thing is that the toys aren't getting more dangerous, it's just that the kids we raise are getting more retarded.
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 07:31 PM        Jeez
Seriously....

Have you seen that new rubber turf crap they are putting in playgrounds now? They are taking the "ow" out of childhood. And to be honest I think the "ow" is an important part of growth and development.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 09:38 PM       
AMEN!
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 12:53 AM       
Ditto for the plastic playground equipment. It's fucking ugly; give me back the all-metal jungle gyms and swingsets (the swings were rubber, of course) I got to play with when I was in school. I can't believe how fast this shit is happening, I was in grade school eight years ago.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 11:29 AM       
I miss BB guns. Honestly, we all knew they were dangerous. We all learned from he kid at school with the eye patch. He was the same kid who lost a couple fingers to an M80.

We needed him to learn from. Now, what do we have? We need those gruesome visuals to make life's lessons actually stick. This is why retards are doing extreme sports. New and exciting ways to kill yourself. Wasn't it just much better doing it in your own backtard?

Of course, there was always something a lot more dangerous than any BB gun, sling shot, lawn dart etc etc:

THE BACK OF MY DAD'S HAND
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 12:01 PM        WOOHOO
Quote:
THE BACK OF MY DAD'S HAND
yeah....

Somehow we are raising a society that has no concept of concequences. A society where most kids grow up without a healthy respect for anything.

Feel good society my ass.

Lye is probably a spambot
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 01:03 AM       
whats with all this choking hazard shit, who puts toys in their mouth and chokes on it?
i used to eat toys and i never choked on them.
any kid that chokes on a gijoe has it coming

farbour is probably a spambot
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 02:41 AM       
[quote="Perndog"]

...And BB guns. When we were six, seven years old. Of course they were dangerous. That's why we didn't shoot each other with them...

quote]

Speak for yourself.
Fartin's biggest fan
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 09:27 PM       
Hi, farbour. Mr. Darwin will see you now.

AckAckAck is probably a spambot
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 10:00 PM       

Why are people so afraid of natural selection? The human race would be better off without someone who strangles themself with a yo-yo.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 09:41 AM       
Because some crazy people had that wacky idea that the weak and stupid should have equal rights in life as the strong and intelligent.

Not to say that I agree dangerous stuff should be outlawed or anything (crossing the street is in many ways more dangerous than a small toy one could swallow) but that doesn't mean I think anyone who's stupid enough to swallow a toy should be considered a waste of cells and humanity's better off without him, as our friend Ackackackackakc suggested.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 12:51 PM       
if a kid doesnt kill himself by polaying with a toy with sharpish esges, he will most likiely die later in life by drinking bleach because "he had run out of milk"